Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, newbie here with first post. I'm glad to have found thus forum! I have been going through router tables, some I make others I get from CL or inexpensive sources. My question is with my Porter Cable 890, why is it a secret what the measurements are for the mounting screws? I have literally been looking for over two years, when the time comes to remount and drill.......carefully and measured 3 times.

What would you all do? Does anyone have the dimensions? It sure would be great to have a printable paper template to use and take the anxiety out of drilling into the router table base.

Thanks and looking forward to making some new friends here. I appreciate your responses. Tony in the OC

·
Super Moderator
John
6,962 Posts
Hello and welcome to the router forum.
Here is a utube video

Reactions: chessnut2

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a schematic that shows that for any router and I don't know why that is. Most of us, I think, use the black plastic base plate as a template. I bought a set of transfer punches to make sure I center the hole when I'm marking it onto a plate. They aren't terribly expensive and come in handy from time to time. Transfer Punch Set - Lee Valley Tools

With some routers you can attach a guide bushing to the base plate and stick the bushing through a pre drilled hole in the table plate to fit it and that will keep the base plate in position while you mark or drill the holes.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Hey, Cuz; welcome!
Tons of previous threads and comments in the archive re the whole topic of plates and mounting them.
Good luck! :)
(You did check the replacement parts approach to finding the screw info? If you can take the screw into a decent hardware store, you should be able to find the correct nut, which will tell you all you need to know about the screw threading.)

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
I've always used a centering disk or cone, coupled with screws with the heads cut off and sharpened to a point. Thread the sharpened screws in, install the centering tool and place the insert plate on and give a sharp rap at each screw. Drill where the marks are.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,960 Posts
Tony,

I use the sub base from the router as my pattern. Here is some data that might help. It is from a 690, but I am 99% sure the holes are the same, just the screws for the 890 are metric and the 690 were imperial.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
I use a pencil to mark the hole, then whack a nail in the center of that, to mark where to drill. Never had a problem with doing it that way yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.