Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question, sorry, just getting into routers and building my first table. Why is the slot always in the table top? Couldn't you hook up a sled to a track on the fence?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I suppose you could but it would have to be above the bit and if you were using a tall bit, like a vertical panel raising bit, that would be about 2 inches above the table. Most of the time, the t-track in the fence is for hold downs or stops.

Personally, I don't bother with a miter track because I still like using the fence for stability and depth control. In order to use the miter slot in this case the fence has to be perfectly parallel to the slot while achieving the right depth which is time consuming. I just use a squared pusher block, in which case the fence can be at any angle and not make a difference.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You'll need the miter slot if you use horizontal feather-boards and of course if you buy the Incra Ibox and want to cut box joints on the router table.

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,899 Posts
Colonel,

You can make jigs that ride on the fence, the don't necessarily need a slot.

Personally, I don't use a miter slot. I use either push blocks or a sled. The rotation of the bit pushes the work against the bit if you are feeding correctly, so a slot isn't really necessary. For some projects I use a featherboard to keep pressure up against the fence.

The original 'Router Workshop" miter gage that I use rides over a template guide. You can see it in action at the link below. I don't know if they are still for sale, but they aren't very hard to construct .

Router Workshop: clamping mitre gauge

My table (no slots) can be seen here.
http://www.routerforums.com/kp91s-gallery/1708-router-table-upgrade.html

I hope this helps answer your question,

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dumb question, sorry, just getting into routers and building my first table. Why is the slot always in the table top? Couldn't you hook up a sled to a track on the fence?
Short answer is that some fences do have a miter/tee slot and some don't. You have to buy one that suits your needs, or build it yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reason I asked is because I thought about getting the Incra positioner, because the idea of perfect fancy dovetails and such with minimal thinking is too tempting to pass up. My table top and base cost me nothing and I wanted to make my own fence with scraps to further add to that nothing. I did want to splurge on that positioner.

I noticed on the Incra demo videos that the right-angle sled that comes with the Incra Super System is not on a miter track. It rides on top of their fence. My thinking was to have my own sled connect to the fence somehow, and all I could think of was a T Track in the fence or on top of it. I could buy the whole Incra setup but if I can do part of it on my own I'd rather do that and save $$$. Regardless, probably should have worded my question better.

So what are ways to have a sled ride the fence? Do most people physically connect the two, or just make sure it's pushed snugly against it?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I just push along the fence with a push block as already mentioned. The push block adds some blow out protection as well. I attached a picture of the last router fence I made. It only cost me for the knobs and bolts on it, the material was scrap mdf and melamine coated particle board. This has turned out to be a very functional design that I intend to stick with.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Coming out of left field here, but wouldn't using a table mitre slot mtd. sled and the fence for the same operation be counter productive, if not risky? For the same reason as a tablesaw...except that the force isn't lifting I suppose(?).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Reason I asked is because I thought about getting the Incra positioner, because the idea of perfect fancy dovetails and such with minimal thinking is too tempting to pass up. My table top and base cost me nothing and I wanted to make my own fence with scraps to further add to that nothing. I did want to splurge on that positioner.

I noticed on the Incra demo videos that the right-angle sled that comes with the Incra Super System is not on a miter track. It rides on top of their fence. My thinking was to have my own sled connect to the fence somehow, and all I could think of was a T Track in the fence or on top of it. I could buy the whole Incra setup but if I can do part of it on my own I'd rather do that and save $$$. Regardless, probably should have worded my question better.

So what are ways to have a sled ride the fence? Do most people physically connect the two, or just make sure it's pushed snugly against it?
Nothing wrong with the question, just needed expanding a bit. :)

I have the Incra LS positioner and Wonder Fence and I wouldn't be without it.
Both fences come with a T-Track, which you can easily fit things like featherboards to. After seeing your comment I got to thinking and realized that I could easily adapt my Shopsmith featherboards to fit the Incra fence. I simply removed the plastic miter bar from the back of the featherboard, re-fitted the bolts and knobs and dropped the bolts into the Tee slot on the fence. Works like a charm.:D

The Incra attachment that slides along the fence is not what I'd call a sled. Maybe I'm just being picky. Anyways, you could easily make up a similar arrangement using wood or metal as the 'hook' that rides the fence. I find it invaluable for some work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan, yeah, having something ride the top of the fence like Incra does is how I originally envisioned it. But I also wondered why people don't use the track on the face of the fence, like for featherboards and stop blocks, to move the right angle attachment/sled/thingy along that track instead of along the top? Now that I've thought about it more clearly I see a number of problems with that setup. Adding a track to the top edge of the fence instead of the face is the way to go if I want to do this on my own.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Been reading a lot on this forum and it's very helpful.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Alan, yeah, having something ride the top of the fence like Incra does is how I originally envisioned it. But I also wondered why people don't use the track on the face of the fence, like for featherboards and stop blocks, to move the right angle attachment/sled/thingy along that track instead of along the top? Now that I've thought about it more clearly I see a number of problems with that setup. Adding a track to the top edge of the fence instead of the face is the way to go if I want to do this on my own.

Again, thanks for all the replies. Been reading a lot on this forum and it's very helpful.

Take a look at the Veritas Router Table System on Lee Valley's website for some good ideas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts