Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm completely new around here and I was curious to get a sense of how others on the forum think. Naturally, I think woodworking is a great hobby. It keeps us active, we can take pride in making our own custom items and I've seen people make outstanding, personalized gifts for their close ones.

But what do you think? What are the main reasons for you to take such an interest in woodworking? Is it just a hobby, or work for you?

I don't expect a lot of long answers, this is just a little curiosity of mine :)

Also, do you have any other hobbies besides this?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
John
6,956 Posts
:)
Jim ,welcome to Router Forums, glad to have you join us, I'm positive the members of the community would be more than willing to answer any questions you have .

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,226 Posts
Welcome Jim. In answer to your question, my woodworking is a hobby but I'm not sure it is a separate hobby. What I mean is that my hobby is making ... ummm ... STUFF. Most often that stuff involves woodworking to some extent but the projects in themselves may not be considered pure woodworking. They may incorporate some metal work, some graphic design, some plastic, and even bits and pieces of electrical components. As the others will tell you, my projects tend to be a bit ... shall we say, eccentric. :sarcastic:

Regardless, it's fun, fulfilling, and frees the spirit. Don't forget to share pictures of your work.

Reactions: marecat3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks John :)

I'm sure there's plenty for me to learn from the users here!

Oliver: Well, the more creative you get with it, the better (at least that's what I believe! ). I see no reason why anyone should stick to woodworking alone if they're able to take things even further and create really interesting projects. I'll definitely have to have a look through more of your posts :)

Jerry Bowen: Thanks for the PM! I'd like to respond to you in the same way, but I can't send PMs until I've first reached 10 messages here. Anyway, I think that's a great way to describe it, and in many ways that same principle is what drives the part of what I do which I enjoy most.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
9,902 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jim.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Welcome Jim. It has been a hobby and a job at times, the skills I developed while a hobbyist allowed me to do it for a living a few times when I needed to. Mostly it has been to build things that family, friends, or my wife and I needed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Jim. Hobby for me. I like the beauty of this natural resource. Every piece is unique. I like the feel, smell, and the smiles you get from people. I like operating the machinery and hand tools. I like the challenges of joinery and assembly. I like the solitude of working alone.

I hate finishing.

Len

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,539 Posts
Jim I bought an old crappy fixer upper of a house , actually it didn't seem like that when I bought it but everything needs some kind of renovation to a point and its dam expensive to have the pros come in so I keep on buying tools and trying to learn .
I used to be into car audio fabrication as a hobby so I had routers from back then , but Ive learned volumes about routers since I joined here in May . Coolest tool on the planet IMO

Im hoping to use my router and other tools to build an elaborate computer desk in the future . Just another one of those projects I'd like to build

As for other hobbies my main interest is photography and photoshop . Was going to get into skydiving with a wing suit but I'm to fat to fly :(
But as soon as I loose 70 lbs I'm ordering the suit :)

·
Official Greeter
19,050 Posts
G'day Jim, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just love it when something comes out well and just the way you planned it (almost !)

Rog

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
I don't ever remember a time when I had either the time or inclination to just do woodworking as a 'hobby'. For me it's always been practical. Like Rainman, and a lot of others here, I sort of fell into it by buying an old house (circa 1915) ...man, did I learn a lot in a hurry!
Even now, when I theoretically have the time, it's all spent building stuff, or doing maintenance on the house (not the same one; this one's practically new at 1970).

·
Premium Member
20,371 Posts
For the last 33 years, I've made a living as a consultant where my results are measured by how well my clients are doing. Lots of writing and talking and listening, but not much physical stuff. I've always done home repairs and improvements and enjoyed it, but about 6 years ago I bought my first table saw and a few other key tools and love it. Many tools and dollars later, I find that the best thing about more complex woodworking is that you must set aside everything else and concentrate on what you're doing in this moment. For someone for whom its rare not to be thinking about business, this concentration is a good thing. I also love the precision I've now gotten a handle on. Finally, when I'm done with a project, there is this physical thing and its done. Far different than my consulting where it is all open ended and largely outside my control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because its fun and satisfying

I do woodworking for a hobby now. I'm pretty much new to it, but I am really enjoying the challenge and satisfaction it provides.

I also like making 1 of a kind items and giving them to people I know.

·
Registered
Theo
7,173 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I got into it by updating a house we had moved in and like to work with my hands and at my age is easier to work with wood than on cars. i manly make things we need around the house.
Allen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts