Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
Doug
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if there is any interest in this or not, I saw a few references to Windows 10 under another thread.

My bride absolutely cannot stand windows 8. Unfortunately I was unable to find a Win7 machine when hers needed replacing, so she agreed to give it a go, knowing that 10 was on the horizon.

Even though my machine has 7, I went ahead and went through the upgrade process to test it out before messing with her machine, knowing I can go back in a couple of weeks if I need to.

The installation was surprisingly painless, but it did take a while. The installation files had downloaded overnight, and I started in the morning. I had already done a backup, so that step was out of the way, and I started the install shortly after breakfast. The computer did it's thing for a couple of hours while I was away, and all in all it must have taken a little over 2 hours.

The configuration of the security settings took all of 4 minutes, and we were up and running.

There were a few "slow" moments, as the new apps for music and pictures had to build their indexes, but so far every program that worked under 7 works normally under 10.

The layout of the desktop is a lot like Win 7, so it feels very familiar. If you like the tile idea of Win 8, they are tucked inside the start menu now. There is some of the 'mobile phone' type notifications that pop up, but I am sure that I can configure those later.

The new browser is pretty much the same, no real change. The new music player encourages you to be a member of the Microsoft online music site, but other than that it works fine in offline mode.

The Cortana search feature I haven't played with, as I have set the security settings in such a fashion as to disable it. I am not lazy enough yet to have to speak my searches instead of typing them....

I am tempted to bring out a few programs that did not work from XP to Win 7 and see if the compatibility manager is any better in this current version.

The Bride is experimenting with the install on my machine, but I think it is pretty obvious she wants the install done on hers soon as well.

My daughter's machine (Win 7) does not meet the requirements for Win 10 based on the display, so she is stuck for now.

So far, so good. Painless install, not a lot of new things to learn, (and free).

If I run into any annoyances I'll let you know.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I have 10 running on two laptops trouble free so far Doug.

Reactions: HoweA

·
Registered
657 Posts
I upgraded to Windows 10 a few days ago, so far it is running well. I liked Windows 8.1 after I added Classic Shell. So I might be an oddball here LOL.

Gary

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
We have 10 running on my desktop which was 8.1 and on a laptop which was Win 7 and are very happy with it. As Gary said I might be an oddball but I liked 8.1. 10 is faster and smoother than previous versions and as Cricket said it was free making the price right.

Reactions: HoweA

·
Registered
813 Posts
Loaded Win 10 on two Toshiba's. Easy download and works well. The only problem I have had is an occasional screen freeze (which has been reported to Microsoft). Read where MS is working on an update to solve some of the reported issues which so far have been minor. Surprisingly well written and mostly trouble free for a major upgrade to the OS. It has been reported that it will work on many machines that are not on the compatible list, with some apps not working.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
Well m buddy said there's a free upgrade right now from 8 to 10?
My laptop won't program my harmony remote and windows 8 is supposed to work with Logitechs software . Maybe I should do this upgrade

·
Registered
749 Posts
I loaded Windows 10 first day available on a Dell Latitude with a 2.7GHz quad and 8 gig ram. I like it. The mail front end is good and I don't feel like I need outlook any more. Web browsing still has a couple of rough issues. The mouse pointer looses sync sometimes. I have had Bing using "search the web function" in bottom left freeze explorer to where nothing on any explorer screens would respond. I just type google in now and use google. I have had the back button drop back to something I was searching on the day before which was a totally different topic. My wireless drops off occasionally on 5 GHz. I have not found the command line icon so I just type in cmd to get a command line window. Overall though it works pretty good for a new OS.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I tried to upgrade from W7. All went well until the final step of going to the new Start screen. It started flashing and nothing would make it stop. The cursor indicated there was something running with the revolving blue circle. This according to my web searches is not uncommon and may have a number of causes. I couldn't fix it so I have gone back to W7.

·
Premium Member
17,429 Posts
They have designed 10 so that you cannot make Google your home page . Guess they wanna shove Bing down your throat .
As a matter of fact my friend just tried to put Google at the very least in his Favorites and two days later it was gone . Happened twice in a row so it makes one wonder

·
Registered
861 Posts
They have designed 10 so that you cannot make Google your home page . Guess they wanna shove Bing down your throat .
As a matter of fact my friend just tried to put Google St the very least in his Favorites and two days later it was gone . Happened twice in a row so it makes one wonder
Edge? A new window is always the about:start page, so no you can't change that. You can set google as a home page, but you might as well use Chrome.

Edge is a good step up from IE, but it's not going to be for everyone. It's not fully baked yet. W10 comes with IE11.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As a matter of fact my friend just tried to put Google St the very least in his Favorites and two days later it was gone . Happened twice in a row so it makes one wonder
You can set edge to open on google.com, right from the settings tab.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I may be opening a can of worms here but never the less here it goes:-

I am now just one more Blue Screen or Windows hanging incident away from formatting, loading Linux and burning all y MMS CD's and DVD's. My own fault really and I should have made the bold move years ago as I am sick and tired of "forced" upgrades to the next MS OS (Operating System)and MS Office versions to fix bugs and incompatibility issues.

Windows 95 was launched with over 35,000 known critical bugs but it was launched anyway to meet their marketing deadline back in 1995. To get away from all the nasty Blue Screen one had to pay and upgrade top Win98 which in itself had almost the same amount of bugs which were never fixed wit the patches etc. and so the saga continued with 2000, Vista, Win 7, etc. Don't believe me? have a look at the size of the patches we had to download to fix bugs and security issues! Bill Gates became the richest man on in the world by selling software that did not work and everyone was stupid enough to pay for upgrades which had even more serious bugs in them, but through clever marketing tactics the world became hooked on Windows OS. One of the tactics was for 1,000's of games to be written for the MS Windows platform because the kids nagged the parents into buying the PC with Windows OS so that they could play games. Another tactic was to supply schools and universities with either free or discounted education licences and this changed their OS platforms from the likes of UNIX and Apple Mac to MS Windows and resulted in graduates leaving their schools with only MS experience where this was then promoted by the brain washes grads in their work environment. Have a look around, everyone that has moved from MS to LINUX says they will never ever go back to the Gates monopoly.

The only reason I am still on MS OS is because my online business is run from this PC and I cannot run the risk of being down for a few days while learning a new OS, BUT when I can afford one, the next PC I buy will definitely not have any MS SW on it but LINUX and all the free Open Source packages I need for everyday usage.

Happy formatting and reinstalling.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I may be opening a can of worms here but never the less here it goes:-

I am now just one more Blue Screen or Windows hanging incident away from formatting, loading Linux and burning all y MMS CD's and DVD's. My own fault really and I should have made the bold move years ago as I am sick and tired of "forced" upgrades to the next MS OS (Operating System)and MS Office versions to fix bugs and incompatibility issues.

Windows 95 was launched with over 35,000 known critical bugs but it was launched anyway to meet their marketing deadline back in 1995. To get away from all the nasty Blue Screen one had to pay and upgrade top Win98 which in itself had almost the same amount of bugs which were never fixed wit the patches etc. and so the saga continued with 2000, Vista, Win 7, etc. Don't believe me? have a look at the size of the patches we had to download to fix bugs and security issues! Bill Gates became the richest man on in the world by selling software that did not work and everyone was stupid enough to pay for upgrades which had even more serious bugs in them, but through clever marketing tactics the world became hooked on Windows OS. One of the tactics was for 1,000's of games to be written for the MS Windows platform because the kids nagged the parents into buying the PC with Windows OS so that they could play games. Another tactic was to supply schools and universities with either free or discounted education licences and this changed their OS platforms from the likes of UNIX and Apple Mac to MS Windows and resulted in graduates leaving their schools with only MS experience where this was then promoted by the brain washes grads in their work environment. Have a look around, everyone that has moved from MS to LINUX says they will never ever go back to the Gates monopoly.

The only reason I am still on MS OS is because my online business is run from this PC and I cannot run the risk of being down for a few days while learning a new OS, BUT when I can afford one, the next PC I buy will definitely not have any MS SW on it but LINUX and all the free Open Source packages I need for everyday usage.

Happy formatting and reinstalling.
I don't think I agree. I have run my share of Linux software firewalls over the years and I hate the manual patching required on the Linux OS and it was constant changes. I would never run Linux for my desktop. Too much trouble. I might switch from MS to Apple but I want something easy to maintain. Small bugs do not bother me as every OS has bugs and undiscovered bugs. Good luck with open source as I want someone to blame when there is a problem. The can is open.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
In my day...We used paper and pencils...and we liked it!

Seriously though, software is like underwear - some may be comfortable and fit "just right", while others may be just a bit "scratchy".

Prior to 1988, my only interactions with computers were making cash withdrawals from the free-standing banks. In 1988, the engineering company decided that a handful of us "drafters" should learn to do CAD (Computer Assisted Drafting) Work. Wow! That was truly a HUGE CHANGE from the years of manual drafting that I had been doing for the same company. At first it seemed so cumbersome to each of us; we were going to classes three afternoons per week - while trying to maintain in-office work production and utilize the new "stuff" we had been learning. It was quite the learning curve for each of us. We began with AutoCAD release 9. We each had digitizers with template overlays that had commands printed on them. The digitizer's overlay commands were triggered by clicking a 16- button mouse (no, it wasn't wireless) over the command's tiny rectangle. This clicking was done by aligning the clear sight glass - complete with crosshairs aligned exactly above said tiny appropriate rectangle.

That was release 9 and eventually we all got proficient in its use and could quickly produce drawing files!

Release 10 came and we all went through the upgrades - which seemed to be mostly a simple relocation of places to click for invoking various commands. There were, however; a few improvements and we learned to use those of them that were appropriate to our drafting applications.

We skipped Release 11, as the reviews on it were not favorable. Release 12 came and we jumped all over it - there were quite a few significant improvements for our types of work, so we welcomed it with "open arms". We skipped Release 13, because again; the reviews we were hearing and reading weren't favorable. Release 14 came and we dove on it - it had numerous big improvements! We stayed with it until I retired in June of 2001. I had been planning on "retirement" at age 45, but those plans were delayed a bit due to the significant slowdown of my "then manufacturing partner". I wasn't able to "retire" until I was 47, due to this slowdown - but I was still "young", so not the end of the world. My manufacturing partner passed-away in October of 2000 and for several weeks things were looking very bleak.

Word of my partner's death spread and around November of 2000, my daughter asked me to come and speak with her employer about a possible new partnership. I went one day and we had a brief meeting, where I took a product sample, some drawings, etc. Honestly, I didn't have a very strong feeling that he would be a very good fit - as he knew absolutely nothing about forming concrete! A few days went by and my phone rang and he requested another brief meeting. We went to a nearby construction site and I showed him how my product would have saved the contractor tons of labor, time and money - while improving quality of the floor slab. He went back to that project every day during their entire laborious process of using the old-fashioned methods that have been in use since 1905 and possibly earlier! He reported to me every couple of days and he was amazed at how much work, time and money was spent by the contractor for what seemed to be so simple! He quickly became a believer in my system! On 01 January 2001, we "signed on the dotted line" and became business partners. He is the Manufacturer and I am the Director of Product Development. We've had our "bumps in the road", but by and large - this has worked extremely well.

Immediately after signing, I turned-in a one-year's notice of intention to retire. By June, our company workload was very low and everyone knew that I was going to leave soon. The bosses called me-in and asked if I would retire early - which would preserve the jobs of several young engineers in the same [structural] department? One other twist - at no loss of expected income! How could I say no?

My new partner had not even finished building our new office building! This came as a very sudden surprise to everyone. I needed to work at home for a while, but no problem - my former employer said "take your computer with you for as long as you need (it was on AutoCAD release 14) and just return it whenever you're done with it. A nicer offer could not be made!

During my time "off" and working at home, I made a list of drafting equipment that I would need to purchase in order to maximize my efficiency to perform drafting services to continue and develop new products that would enhance my product line. My new partner quickly volunteered to pay for everything needed! He even suggested some things that were nicer than I was initially planning to order! When the package of new supplies (hardware, software, plotter, etc.) landed - following construction of a very nice brand-new office space - I was able to move-in during mid-September 2001.

At the Structural Engineering Firm, we only had need (per the bosses) for 2d drafting; but for my Pocket Form Isolator product line - I have a tremendous need for 3d drawings and isometric views! I was given a choice of software, etc. and I chose AutoCAD release 2002 - which was the latest release available at that time. Release 2002 has served me well - I learned 3d work and actually love using it! Certainly there are other programs out there that do 3d drawings, but AutoCAD excels at 2d and does 3d quite nicely, as well. I've been told that AutoCAD is harder to learn than SolidWorks, but AutoCAD was fine for me. I've also heard that Chinese is a hard language to learn, but millions of kids learn it every year!

Now, for the PUNCH LINE...

Up until [yesterday], I've been using AutoCAD release 2002, but now I am learning AutoCAD release 2016! WOW! Talk about a big shock! New computer, new OS, new everything. Yeah - it seems like a pain-in-the untanned regions, but I am really looking forward to getting proficient with it - because it will eventually enable me to produce more work in less time with even better quality control. Ain't that what upgrades are all about?

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

1 - 20 of 177 Posts