Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is about Jerry's problems with Windows 10, but is good info for everyone who is using it.

Job 1: after you install windows 10 is to make a system recovery disk. If 10 won't start on your computer, you can use this to troubleshoot and get back up running. The second part of this article is what's relevant here:
How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10

Job 2: In most windows 10 installations, System Restore is disabled by default. You'll need to check yours to see. Here's how to check and enable it. Here's how:
How to Enable System Restore (and Repair System Problems) on Windows 10

Job 3: I always (I hope) manually set a system restore point before installing any software. To make it easier for me to remember, I created an icon on my desktop that gets me to the system restore screen. Here's how:
Create System Restore Shortcut on Windows 10 Desktop

When I set mine up, I somehow managed to set up the icon a lot easier by just right clicking something and clicking "send to desktop", but I can't remember how I did it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Jim,

I appreciate your attempt to be of help. I have a couple of question. Can I ust use an external drive in place of making a back up disc? If I make a disk my DVD player won't play it as the DVD player on 10 does not work without doing soe sort of voodoo that I am not familiar with.

Right now, I'm on the verge of having seven reinstalled and just getting away from 10. It seems to be obvious that MS is not really interested in creating user friendly products, but are more interested in creating issues that will somehow be a money maker for them and their share holders, but can blame them, making money is the only reason that MS exists,

If I sound sarcastic it's because I am.

Jerry

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Right now, I'm on the verge of having seven reinstalled and just getting away from 10. It seems to be obvious that MS is not really interested in creating user friendly products, but are more interested in creating issues that will somehow be a money maker for them and their share holders, but can blame them, making money is the only reason that MS exists,

If I sound sarcastic it's because I am.

Jerry
that sounds familiar...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, but it would have to be dedicated to only that, I think. You could also use the first option in the article and make a recovery drive on a 1 GB flash drive. It's a more complete tool anyway (I just learned this while researching your question). Good news for me, too.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I'm for putting 7 back in!!

HJ

Still has 7 - not gonna change til I have to

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I'm for putting 7 back in!!

HJ

Still has 7 - not gonna change til I have to
you still have 3~4 years of support for 7..
look at XP..
still a lot of XP machines in use out there...
who knows what will be on the table in 4 years...
the word ''FREE'' sure blinds...

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I'm setting up several 7 machines and a laptop, but keeping my full XP system. Only reason for changing to 7 is that Dropbox won't update in XP starting next month. All my business files are in Dropbox, with copies in many machines as double backup. If it weren't for that, I'd keep using XP exclusively.

If you are going to stick with 7, you MUST have a good internet security system installed. I like Norton, but there are others. I also keep Malwarebytes installed and up to date, and have had zero problems with it.

I have used Media Player Classic, which comes as a free item in Download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack - MajorGeeks. It runs everything, is free, doesn't impost Digital Rights Management. I also like and run IrfanView, also free and a decent picture editor and has a player. VLC player is a third package that is also free and works well. I am not sure whether 10 refuses to work with them because I'm a never 10 guy, but they work well in 7 and 8. The people who created these open software packages do keep them up to date.

Since you first load an antivirus and internet security suite, run all these installation files BEFORE you run them. I have not had any problem with them, but an abundance of caution is appropriate these days.
@Jerry Bowen I have meant my posts on 10 to be seen by you. I am forced to use Windows because most of my clients do, but I am coming to like my wife's Apple system pretty well, although Win 7 has a lot more flexibility in adding alternate software. Those three packages are terrific. For office software, I have purchased old versions of Office 2003. Office 2010 did some nasty things to your old files and can't really be opened in old software as reliably as the 2003 versions. Oddly, Apple's version of Office is rated better than Micro$oft's.

Remember when you have 7 reinstalled, get the file Never10.exe (free) and run it, it will disable the automatic downgrade >:) to 10. Install the antivirus next, then everything else.

Sorry to hear about your grief with that pukie 10.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
@DesertRatTom...

agree w/everything except the Norton...
too propitiatory for me..

add..
Vipre..
Sophos..
Super Anti Spyware..
Spybot...
which are all free...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention a very useful utility that has helped me greatly in using win 10. It's called Classic Shell, and it's free. You can use it to make win 10 look and act just like Win 7, Win 8 (ugh), Vista, or even Xp.

I ran it and set it to look like Win 7, and everything (mostly) was back to what I had been used to for years. Start button, Pretty much the same layout and choices when you click on it, like 7 looked like. It made it a lot easier for me. Here's the link:
Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
I noticed the other day that new laptops issued by IBM have W10 installed....

I would assume that IBM has modified certain sections of the program.......I hope...

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
Quite a few companies still offer new computers with Win 7 instead of 10. I notice our health care provider has stuck with 7. They will be among the first victims of Micro$oft's scheme to charge monthly for using Windows. It isn't really your computer, you know. It belongs to Bill's thugs, you just pay for it.

·
Premium Member
19,239 Posts
I like nearly everything about Windows 7, except for the Windows Explorer, which now imposes Bill's thugs' idea of how I should organize my hard drive. I've downloaded MultiCommander, which is free which has good reviews and allows batch renaming of files, which I could really use. Just search download MultiCommander. I scanned the file from Major Geeks' website and it is clean.

I think that Micro$oft's idea of product improvement is to bury the commands another couple of clicks down, and renamed so you have no idea where what you need is concealed.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I like nearly everything about Windows 7, except for the Windows Explorer, which now imposes Bill's thugs' idea of how I should organize my hard drive. I've downloaded MultiCommander, which is free which has good reviews and allows batch renaming of files, which I could really use. Just search download MultiCommander. I scanned the file from Major Geeks' website and it is clean.

I think that Micro$oft's idea of product improvement is to bury the commands another couple of clicks down, and renamed so you have no idea where what you need is concealed.
install IE8 or 9 on your 7 machine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts