Router Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really liked my clock and calendar gadgets on my Windows 7 PC. I went searching at Microsoft to see if gadgets were available for 8. I found a warning that hackers can access and take control of your PC through the Windows 7 sidebar that the gadgets work on.

Here are the instructions for disabling the side bar:

Attachments

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
I really liked my clock and calendar gadgets on my Windows 7 PC. I went searching at Microsoft to see if gadgets were available for 8. I found a warning that hackers can access and take control of your PC through the Windows 7 sidebar that the gadgets work on.

Here are the instructions for disabling the side bar:
I like them too and I am going to keep them, otherwise I won't know what day it is or what time it is.LOL

I will let Avast worry about the bad guys.

Herb

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
Windows 10 should be out in July hopeful they will get it right

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
"...Windows 10 should be out in July hopeful they will get it right"
Then what would we have to complain about?... ;)

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,195 Posts
"...Windows 10 should be out in July hopeful they will get it right"
Then what would we have to complain about?... ;)
And when have they ever gotten it right? :wink:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I used the weather window, but the option was made "unable to connect" over a month ago on the Cape, there was a hack on the web to over ride it but was a temporary solve. There're are too many ways to sneak into someone's comp today. I also don't like the fact that the current modems are always on.

You can also get to the feature via control panel by clicking on "Desktop Gadgets"

·
Super Moderator
John
6,840 Posts
@oliver
Where there is breath there is hope!

·
Registered
813 Posts
There is no software made that a good hacker can not get into. Keep your software and virus protection up to date. Make sure your firewall is up. Critical information should be in a thumb drive or an external disk. Stay away from "public" wifi connections. If DOD's Cray computers can be hacked then our piddly Windows software is easy for a determined hacker.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
When I had a virus removed from my computer, the guy said they are creating viruses faster than the software companies can override them.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Somebody has to be infected before anyone in the trade can find it and wreck it, by that time tonza meat puppets have sick piles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts