1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the 220V version of the Long Ranger for my dust collector, and love it (as much as you can love a remote, anyway). It's ruggedly built and reliable, with a good range.

The Etekcity is only rated for 10 amps, so it couldn't handle the power requirements of your DC.

The Long Ranger is kinda pricey, but seems pretty bulletproof. FWIW, it's a bit cheaper at Grizzly, where, BTW, they also sell their own labelled remote (T26673). I have no personal experience with that one, though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, by any chance do you know if the LR is made in USA and the Grizzly where? The difference in price is noticeable.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
I went a differant direction and bought this system . I had to add a relay, as it was popping the resettable breaker because of to much inrush current .
But other than that it's working great . I like how it starts my DC up 3 seconds after the TS and runs an extra 5 seconds after the saw stops to evacuate the pipes . Timing intervals are adjustable too

iVac Pro Dust Collection Control System - Lee Valley Tools

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went a differant direction and bought this system . I had to add a relay, as it was popping the resettable breaker because of to much inrush current .
But other than that it's working great . I like how it starts my DC up 3 seconds after the TS and runs an extra 5 seconds after the saw stops to evacuate the pipes . Timing intervals are adjustable too

Rick, thanks for you input, I have seen that too, but is more expensive and you have to install several, I only need one. :smile:

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Rick, thanks for you input, I have seen that too, but is more expensive and you have to install several, I only need one. :smile:
Yes I thought this might be a bit over the top . I'm absolutely loving it , as I have a terrible time remembering to turn the DC on . I will be buying the automatic waste gates that interface with the system as soon as my garage is drywalled

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Was your original Radio Shack unit a device that used the power lines to send the signals to the dust collector? It would have had a module with an antenna that plugged into the wall in your shop, a module that plugged in and operated your dust collector, and a remote button set that you carried to start and stop the dust collector. If this is true, then you can buy replacements for it from Smarthome Home Automation Superstore. You will want the modules that communicate via Net10 and not Insteon. This may save you from the high cost of replacing your whole dust collector remote control system since you can just buy a replacement for the one defective module. Radio Shack stopped carrying these about 8 years ago, but Smart Home still carries them.

I use the Net10 modules to operate all of my Christmas Decorations via a programmable timer. I have modules in each room that operate the candles in all of the windows of the house, modules that operate the two Christmas Trees inside the house, and modules that operate the outside decorations, even the ones at the end of the driveway. I can manually turn them on and off or have them just go on and off at preset times. This has saved me a lot of running around as my home is almost 4000 sq ft and some of the outside light decorations are at the street end of my driveway, which is about 300' from my house. I've been running my Christmas Decorations this way for almost 15 years now. I also operate my dust collector with this same system, but with settings unique for operating just the dust collector.

Charley

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

This does seem like a nice system. For me, it would cost $430 (or more with another tool). Pretty sure I could build something for less than 1/4 the cost.

By the way, I have a somewhat love/hate thing going with iVac. Their engineering leaves something to be desired. Especially their specs which they push the limits on. Not surprised you needed to set up a separate relay. I use one of their switches on my mobile DC cart and it's rated for 15A, uh, no 12A, uh no 9A. (three different ratings in the packaging, of course, it said 15A on the outside). I distrust a company that pulls that sort of crap.

·
Premium Member
17,424 Posts
Phil I thought the specs were a tad strange to . The instructions say one thing and the unit states another . They don't stock the 20 amp unit so I was stuck with the 15 amp version. Works well the first few times then started blowing it's onboard surge protector . Installing a contactor fixed the issue ,but I felt it shouldn't have been necessary . But if rewired the changed the DC for 240 , I wouldn't have to add anything , just rewire the contactor

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was your original Radio Shack unit a device that used the power lines to send the signals to the dust collector? It would have had a module with an antenna that plugged into the wall in your shop, a module that plugged in and operated your dust collector, and a remote button set that you carried to start and stop the dust collector. If this is true, then you can buy replacements for it from Smarthome Home Automation Superstore. You will want the modules that communicate via Net10 and not Insteon. This may save you from the high cost of replacing your whole dust collector remote control system since you can just buy a replacement for the one defective module. Radio Shack stopped carrying these about 8 years ago, but Smart Home still carries them.

Charley
Charley thats exactly the system I have, I found this similar in the internet (those are not the same as I have but very similars):
Radio Shack Remote Control Switch 61 2667A Plug ?N Power x 10 | eBay

Radio Shack Plug N Power Wireless Remote Control System 61 2675 | eBay

and yes, only the remote module is getting bad. I found the link you posted, BUT how I find there the one I need?? :surprise:

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
X10 Appliance Module

I believe that this is what you are looking for. This time the link below takes you directly to the module.

Smarthome Home Automation Superstore

The output of the module is controlled by an internal relay and your dust collector may be drawing too much current for the relay contacts inside the module, thus shortening the module's life. To make it last longer you can use the output of the module to operate a heavy duty relay with a 120 vac coil and then switch the dust collector on and off with the contacts of this heavy duty relay.

What are the power requirements of your dust collector? Since you have been using one of these modules, it's likely that your dust collector runs on 120 volts ac, but what is the horsepower and the motor full load ampere rating?

Charley

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I believe that this is what you are looking for. This time the link below takes you directly to the module.

Smarthome Home Automation Superstore

The output of the module is controlled by an internal relay and your dust collector may be drawing too much current for the relay contacts inside the module, thus shortening the module's life. To make it last longer you can use the output of the module to operate a heavy duty relay with a 120 vac coil and then switch the dust collector on and off with the contacts of this heavy duty relay.

What are the power requirements of your dust collector? Since you have been using one of these modules, it's likely that your dust collector runs on 120 volts ac, but what is the horsepower and the motor full load ampere rating?

Charley
Charley, actually the module operates a heavy duty relay with a 120 vac coil and then it switch the dust collector on and off; the DC is 230 vac 2.0 HP motor and the module has NOT problems, the remote chain wireless switch is which is working bad, once it works and other time not. So I only need the remote chain switch.

Thanks for your time and for the link. :smile:

Edit: I dont know the motor full load ampere rating. But if you manually activates directly the module, it works nicely, like it has been doing since new.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have had problems with some of the modules that I use for my Christmas Decorations that turned out to be dirty contacts in the addressing selectors. Turn both of the selector switches back and forth several times and then put them back on the original address.
Then try using it again. This may solve your problem, at least for a little while.

With about 30 lamp modules and 10 appliance modules in my Christmas Decoration system I'm dealing with module problems every year. I've even replaced the triacs (output stage) in some of the lamp modules when they've gone bad. These modules just aren't built to be very reliable, just high tech toys, and I loose a few modules each year. In fact, there's an appliance module sitting next to my computer right now that I'll be diagnosing tomorrow. The Insteon hardware is a bit more reliable, and more expensive, but still not industrial grade.

Charley

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have had problems with some of the modules that I use for my Christmas Decorations that turned out to be dirty contacts in the addressing selectors. Turn both of the selector switches back and forth several times and then put them back on the original address.
Then try using it again. This may solve your problem, at least for a little while.

With about 30 lamp modules and 10 appliance modules in my Christmas Decoration system I'm dealing with module problems every year. I've even replaced the triacs (output stage) in some of the lamp modules when they've gone bad. These modules just aren't built to be very reliable, just high tech toys, and I loose a few modules each year. In fact, there's an appliance module sitting next to my computer right now that I'll be diagnosing tomorrow. The Insteon hardware is a bit more reliable, and more expensive, but still not industrial grade.

Charley
I heard you Charley, thanks again for every thing. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts