Router Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a refurbished Dell Latitude E6430 and would like to have some wireless head phones so I can hear music while working in the shop. I don't know a lot about computers but from what I am reading you have to have Blue Tooth to have a wireless head phone. Is it true that you have to have Blue Tooth to have wireless head phones?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Generally wireless headphones use Bluetooth, yes. You can buy a USB Bluetooth adapter for your new computer pretty cheap, if it doesn't already have BT built in.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Yes....need bluetooth...

...opinion only...not a good idea for music n headphones in the shop...want to hear the tools, wood talkin, etc...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes....need bluetooth...

...opinion only...not a good idea for music n headphones in the shop...want to hear the tools, wood talkin, etc...
I agree with this!

With headphones on head,one's loose too much relation with the tools
noise from cutting tools tells how it works while cutting, a knock or a nail makes a noticeable sound.
A blade or cutter having trouble to cut will also tell by the sound.

Always possible to use a normal powerful stereo .

For very noisy works, I found useful the 3M™ PELTOR™ ProTac
witch got automatic sound level function and allow to ear real world,
just lowering level of extreme sounds.

Some high-end models have blue tooth ability and phone connectivity,
but not mine.

Regards
Gérard

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Agree with Nick - I play music in the shop, but it's from a stereo on one of the benches. I do wear headphones - I guess they're more like ear muffs, do block the noise from the machines, but take the ear muffs off when the noise stops.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would just be wearing them when using my scroll saw and sanding. Not when using the router or table saw. I have hearing protection for that.

·
Premium Member
19,236 Posts
Depending on the distance, you can buy a set of headphones that have a transmitter that plugs into the audio source. Mine are made by Sony. The Sony unit is RF (radio frequency) not BT, so it has a pretty long range. The transmitter must be plugged in to a power source. There are other brands that are similar but I can't vouch for them. But I would never use them in the shop for safety reasons.

There is a model of ear muff that has a dynamic noise blocking system--a small microphone and amplifier inside the muffs picks up normal ambient sounds in the shop, but a loud noise turns off the mic. The fidenity isn't much good and the battery life is fairly short.

The bluetooth is much shorter range, so the computer should be close by, perhaps no more than 20 feet. You can also get a bluetooth signal booster from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...x=bluetooth+signal+,aps,221&crid=WO6EHTEDHQWK This approach would give you good fidelity and a smaller headset than the Sony type unit.

This looks to be the highest rated Bluetooth signal booster. 76 ratings, 5 star. $60 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blu...006&sr=8-12&keywords=bluetooth+signal+booster The maker claims a 50 meter range, but it is lilely less.

One other option would be to have really high quality bluetooth ear buds for the music, then plop on the noise blocking muffs when you use a tool. You could use the muffs with the automatic noise canceling mentioned above, with the buds in place. Good fidelity from the buds plus automatic loud noise canceling, and the muffs really stay in place where earphones might slip off and fall into a machine. Oops.

A place to start anyway, but music would still be something of a safety challenge. No distraction is good once the blade or bit starts moving.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
I was waiting for it and I feel the same way , be aware of your surroundings. We had a guy from another country going to college here , and he was wearing headphones as he was walking home from class .
As he crossed the street a helicopter came down and cut his head off . This happened a mere few blocks from my house , and I believe if he would have been aware of his surroundings, that he'd be alive today

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As I stated in an earlier post I would only wear them when sanding or using my scroll saw. The scroll saw doesn't make much noise but I have a small fan blowing across the table into another fan that has a filter. I am some what hard of hearing and the noise blocks the radio sound. I could also use them in the house when the wife is watching TV. She doesn't like to hear You Tube videos.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was waiting for it and I feel the same way , be aware of your surroundings. We had a guy from another country going to college here , and he was wearing headphones as he was walking home from class .
As he crossed the street a helicopter came down and cut his head off . This happened a mere few blocks from my house , and I believe if he would have been aware of his surroundings, that he'd be alive today
Surely you are kidding???? If not why was a helicopter coming down in the middle of a street.

·
Premium Member
17,426 Posts
Surely you are kidding???? If not why was a helicopter coming down in the middle of a street.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...h-had-no-black-box-investigator-says-1.711740
Unfortunately they were having mechanical issues and just hovering trying to land in a safe place .
There was a field near by but there were kids nearby so they moved over an intersection as a last resort . It was horrific, as all of the sudden it went into a nose dive plummeting into the ground . It had employees from BC Hydro in it ,which we consider our brothers . I was with a co worker going for lunch , and Gary noticed it hovering very low before we went inside . We thought it was the police looking for a bad guy , as you don't normally see them they low over a city .
Was a very sad day for us

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Bluetooth range might not be what you need. I have a micro PC in the lounge at the front of the house, the kitchen is at the rear, and the bluetooth only just about keeps contact. It might be that we have brick walls, and not timber frames, but bluetooth is limited, and not infinite. Might be something to be aware of.

I also have 2 sets of the sennheiser headphones. Again, both are not infinite in range.

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I have a pair of sound reducing head phones that I recently bought from Lowes, mostly for my weekly mowing chore (I have to cut almost 3 acres of lawn). This newest pair has a built-in AM/FM radio, a jack for connecting to an external music source, and it has Bluetooth with a built-in microphone, so it's linked up with my cell phone. Now, when mowing on my big commercial mower I can listen to the radio and also hear my cell phone when it rings. I can even answer the phone, but I have to stop mowing to be able to carry on a conversation. My 62" mowing deck makes a lot of noise, so stopping it is usually enough for good conversation, even if the tractor motor is still idling. I can hear them OK, but they have trouble hearing me when the mower deck is running.

This latest head phone purchase is the third generation of these that I have owned. The first generation was just a noise canceling headset with an FM radio, The second generation has a digitally tuned AM/FM radio and a jack for plugging in an external music source. Now, this newest third generation version also comes with Bluetooth. They have all been 24-27 db sound reduction headsets, so they do a great job of reducing the noise levels of loud machinery while still allowing conversation. The first one died on me and then the bracket holding one ear piece to the head band got broken, so it's been retired and may become spare parts, but I still have and use the other 2 when mowing, and also in my shop when routing, planing, or sawing, usually without using the internal radio feature, but it's there when I want it. They are all big and kind of bulky, and do their loud sound canceling well.

Charley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts