Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mother in law wanted a wishing well for her front yard to replace a rotted out one. Nothing she saw by the house was big enough or "authentic". So, like the dummy I am I volunteered to make her one. Can't be that hard, expensive, or complicated, right? We still owed her a Xmas present yet anyway. So........ I searched the net and got a 1/2 **s plan that I figured I could adopt to my needs.

Off to Menards. It's a start and I'll be back at least a couple more times. Going to use rough sawn cedar so it should last a while. It's 11% off that week so I "only" spent $356. And it's just the start.

The plan called for using sections or blocks cut from pieces of 2 x 4. Why can't I make it a real octagon? Good excuse to order that Miter Set jiggie thing. Plus I can now use the spare contractor saw from Lowes I bought last year when I was having trouble with the main table saw. It hasn't sawed a board yet. Drag it up from the basement.

Pieces are cut. They look good. But will they fit?

Looks like the Miter Set jig did it's job.

Let's see what we can make it look like? Also get to use the new Hitachie finish nailer I got on sale. Major job I need a new tool - and it is for YOUR mother, dear.

It quit raining so I got kicked out of the garage.

Just a matter of building up the layers. That took a lot of wood, screws, and nails. That nail gun was worth it!!!!

Like a 1/2 dozen lawyers on the bottom of a lake -- a darn good start!

·
Premium Member
20,514 Posts
Looking good. You going to finishe it somehow, or just let it age? Is it going to have a little roof with shingles? I have an empty front yard that needs a touch of decoration.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's looking good. Is that all the layers, or more to come? Like the new Hitachi nailer, this project definitely justified that purchase. Can I assume that you're gluing/nailing the layers together to build up the height? If so, have you considered the finished weight? - guessing that it's going to add up fast, these things ain't light. My turtles aren't nearly that big, and I was shocked when I did the first final assembly - the legs, tail and head are screwed into the bottom of the assembled body - and had to flip it over the first time to set it on it's feet.

·
Registered
Paul
2,010 Posts
That looks nice John. Looks like it's going to be much bigger than ones I remember seeing.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking good. You going to finishe it somehow, or just let it age? Is it going to have a little roof with shingles? I have an empty front yard that needs a touch of decoration.

Work in "progress" Tom. Still figuring the rest out. Was thinking of using Thompson's water seal and let her age. She can do whatever she wants to it.

That's looking good. Is that all the layers, or more to come? Like the new Hitachi nailer, this project definitely justified that purchase. Can I assume that you're gluing/nailing the layers together to build up the height? If so, have you considered the finished weight? - guessing that it's going to add up fast, these things ain't light. My turtles aren't nearly that big, and I was shocked when I did the first final assembly - the legs, tail and head are screwed into the bottom of the assembled body - and had to flip it over the first time to set it on it's feet.
Nailing the Octagon pieces in the corners to hold them in shape then using 2 1/2 inch deck screws to build the layers up. The rough sawn cedar is 1/4" thicker than the finished. And yes it is heavy. If I can get it done by this coming week end, my 6'3" son will be here to help. Deciding on top and bottom and put together at MIL's house or assemble it all and get the neighbor to help load it. I was originally worried about it blowing over. If that ever happens there's worse problems to face.

More to follow ............. hopefully.

·
Registered
Mike
3,843 Posts
So far so good but I think I would have built it in sections then screw it together when installing in the yard. It's not going to be fun moving it.

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far so good but I think I would have built it in sections then screw it together when installing in the yard. It's not going to be fun moving it.
I can make 2 sections -- the top and bottom in sections or do it all in one piece. We'll see what the labor pool thinks.

Like the wishing well, and what's in the garage !
You mean Mama's 35th thru 49th anniversary present?

Reactions: artman60

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hope that's a "fringe" benefit, Jon.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I screwed a couple 2 x 8's together for the stiles. Seem good and strong. Going with 45 and 90 degree angles. Keep it simple!!

Just got a couple lag screws holding the stiles in place. Still gotta decide whether to make them easily removable to transport. Top is framed and made to take 24 x 48 inch pieces. Will probably use pressure treated ply with something on the top for a finish.

Onward and Upward!!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
That's really looking good, must be planning on multiple brownie points with the wife and MIL.

If I can make a suggestion while you're still in the construction phase. A neighbor of mine had one of these in his front yard - bought ready-made from an Amish builder up in PA, took him, his son and a friend to unload it from the truck and set it up. He walked out one morning down to the street to get the newspaper, stopped and was thinking that something looked different - took him a couple of minutes to realize that his wishing well had grown legs and walked away during the night. Might be an idea to come up with a way to fasten it down to prevent that happening................. It's really a shame that this seems to be the world that we're living in nowadays.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That's really looking good, must be planning on multiple brownie points with the wife and M

If I can make a suggestion while you're still in the construction phase. A neighbor of mine had one of these in his front yard - bought ready-made from an Amish builder up in PA, took him, his son and a friend to unload it from the truck and set it up. He walked out one morning down to the street to get the newspaper, stopped and was thinking that something looked different - took him a couple of minutes to realize that his wishing well had grown legs and walked away during the night. Might be an idea to come up with a way to fasten it down to prevent that happening................. It's really a shame that this seems to be the world that we're living in nowadays.
You betcha!!!! I'll be favorite SIL for a weekend and best husband for a day.

It's gonna be in the country in the middle of a couple acre front yard. Hoping there's no trouble.

At what point are you gonna use the CNC machine on this project? LOLOLOL
Already working on it, Artie. You know it's gonna happen!!

Reactions: artman60

·
Registered
834 Posts
I screwed a couple 2 x 8's together for the stiles. Seem good and strong. Going with 45 and 90 degree angles. Keep it simple!!

Just got a couple lag screws holding the stiles in place. Still gotta decide whether to make them easily removable to transport. Top is framed and made to take 24 x 48 inch pieces. Will probably use pressure treated ply with something on the top for a finish.

Onward and Upward!!
It looks like it is coming together my friend. Great idea for the top. You make it look simple.
Hollar if you need some help moving it.
We'll be up that way in July.
Looks great John.

David

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.