Router Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received the Wixey Digital angle gage as a gift, it is awesome! I thought it was a gimimick at first, but playing with it I've discovered it's a real tool. In fact, now I'm looking for more places to use it.

Easy to read display, simple to zero on your reference surface, sure makes it easy on less than perfect eyeballs.

Definitely worth the $30 in my opinion.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Doug

COOL TOOL :)

======
kp91 said:
Received the Wixey Digital angle gage as a gift, it is awesome! I thought it was a gimimick at first, but playing with it I've discovered it's a real tool. In fact, now I'm looking for more places to use it.

Easy to read display, simple to zero on your reference surface, sure makes it easy on less than perfect eyeballs.

Definitely worth the $30 in my opinion.

·
Registered
146 Posts
One use that I've not seen anywhere is for setting up the mitre gauge on my TS!
How? easy
Put the mitre gauge in a vice, standing verticle, and zero the wixey on it's side against the gauge.
Then put the wixey on the mitre gauge face and adust to 90 or whatever you want.
because the gauge works from the zero'd referance, the mitre angle is always dead on.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
vapochilled said:
One use that I've not seen anywhere is for setting up the mitre gauge on my TS!
How? easy
Put the mitre gauge in a vice, standing verticle, and zero the wixey on it's side against the gauge.
Then put the wixey on the mitre gauge face and adust to 90 or whatever you want.
because the gauge works from the zero'd referance, the mitre angle is always dead on.

And yet another use I hadn't thought of yet... It is a cool tool.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ya it was on my Christmas wish list but I got a CMT raised panel deluxe router bit set instead. Guess the loml figured I could buy the Wixi myself. I have heard nothing but good about them on all the forums. And only $30. Birthday coming up soon maybe then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks 91,
Every last review I have ever seen on this cool gadget is not just glowing about it but red hot. I have to move this thing to my short list.

I would assume the saw table has to be dead nuts flat in order for the tool to be dead nuts on.

·
Marine Engineer
4,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would hope your table would be 'flat' anyway.... I don't think that if your saw table was a couple of thousands off of perfectly flat from edge to edge that you would notice too much of a difference. The resolution on the meter is 1/10th of 1 degree, so 'perfection' is not guaranteed, but it's pretty darn close. I can't beat it with my eyeballs and engineer's square at 90 deg. It's great for setting the blade bevel angle, I don't even need the scale on the front of the saw anymore!

You do need to have your blade inserts flush (and coplanar) with your table for accuracy with smaller parts.

Best of all it's fun to play with, too!

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've been reading reviews on the Wixey and Beall angle gauges. They both seem to have the same accuracy, except the Beall reads to .05deg as opposed to .1 for the Wixey.
I like the idea that the Wixey magnets are on the bottom as it may give a better 0 since the gauge will be stuck to the table top.
The Beall may be a bit confusing when checking the blade angle because it will read 0.00 instead of 90.00
I ordered a Wixey last night.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Got one as well, and love it. When I recently re-calibrated my TS, wow what a difference. I have a contractors saw and was able to set the blade at perfect 90. I also set the stop at 45 perfect. I love it. Used it on my CMS, which I thought was set pretty close. To my amazement I was at 92.8 when I set it by hand using squares. It to is at 90 now. My FIL now wants one. I see a B-Day or Fathers Day gift in his future.

On the TS, love the fact that I can calibrate the gauge, attach to the blade, and set the angle that I want. No more guessing on the somewhat accurate needle gauge that came with the saw. The small price of the tool has outstanding qualities.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A little over a year ago I posted a, (Long) review of the Beall Tilt Box versus the Wixey Angle Gauge on another forum. I'll start a new thread and share my experiences with this group. The short of it is that they are both excellent products but at nearly the same price I found the Beall to have a few more features that I liked and therefore I liked the Beall better than the Wixey. As far as I knew at the time I was the first to review the Beall Tilt Box. Since that time there have been a few others, most good, a few not so good. But from what I've seen the negatives have either been due to operator error or maybe J.R. Beall was having a little bit of a problem with Chinese quality control. There's a shocker!

Bruce

Bruce

·
Registered
48 Posts
Router is still my name said:
Stay away from this one. Or the one I tried was so unstable. too bad cause it has more features than most including my Wixey.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95998
When you say it, "Was so unstable", how do you mean? Was it physically unstable to where it rocked on it's base because it wasn't flat? Or was it electronically unstable so that even without physically moving it the display varied? I don't really need one of these since I'm very happy with my Beall Tilt Box but I am curious. I was playing with one of these gauges at my local Harbor Freight store and it seemed to work just fine. I didn't have anything to check it against but assuming it was accurate, ( :rolleyes: Harbor Freight, yeah, I know...) it seemed to function quite well. It appeared to be a bargain at only $20.

I don't have any way of finding out but I wonder if this uses the mechanical pendulum method that the Wixey gauge uses or the all digital method that the Beall Tilt Box uses. I prefer the digital method but both appear to work well.

Bruce

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bruce,
Unfortunately the one I ordered on line was electronically unstable so that even without physically moving it the display varied and I was not able to zero it.? They didn’t have any at the store at the time. In all fairness, since they didn’t have them at the store, I never had a chance to try a different one. I do use HF digital indicator on my TS and it has been amazingly accurate and stable. On the other hand Wixey is always off by 0.1 :sold:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have the LV guage and it is stable. I don't trust my Wixey, If I could find the receipt, I would exchange it.
If you zero the Wix on a flat surface, then flip it to one side, it should read 90.0 all the time. mine reads 90.4,3,7,2,1.....and it is very hard to zero even after I let it set for a while.
Heck, At this point I could set my TS blade better just eyeballing with a german
precision square.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Just a quickie from the Aussie Wood Review on this tool. The reviewer gave it good marks for accuracy but said the lock lever broke early in the test. It still got favourable comments but with the suggestion the makers might want to look at the locking lever.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Router is still my name said:
Bruce,
Unfortunately the one I ordered on line was electronically unstable so that even without physically moving it the display varied and I was not able to zero it.? They didn’t have any at the store at the time. In all fairness, since they didn’t have them at the store, I never had a chance to try a different one. I do use HF digital indicator on my TS and it has been amazingly accurate and stable. On the other hand Wixey is always off by 0.1 :sold:

I see. There's not much you can do about that other than return it. I don't know which design the HF version uses. The Wixey is mechanical/digital and the Beall Tilt Box is all digital. I recall that the Wixey had some problems with the pendulum sticking, (I think) and/or maybe some other electronic problem. My first Beall had a problem with the buttons being so stiff that it was difficult to zero. But that was from the first batch made and J.R. Beall quickly replaced it with one from another batch that has worked perfectly.

Is that HF digital indicator a digital dial indicator? I've seen one or two companies now selling a fractional digital dial indicator but since I use a dial indicator for very precise, high resolution measuring I don't see much use in only measuring to 1/128". But a digital decimal mode is very useful and I may just pick one of those up to replace the HF analog dial indicator I have.

If you Wixey is consistently off you should contact Wixey about it. I'll bet they send you a new one. I've never heard of any of these types of gauges being off like that.

Bruce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts