Router Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie mistake:|

I am in the process of building a garden door and I am about 98% done. The top has a large 40" oval and I needed to route a couple WRC 2 X 2's to fit in the center as a criss-cross pattern. Since I still had the jig mounted to the router I just put the 2 x 2 under the 3/4 plywood circle. clamped it down and started cutting so as to cut a perfect fit with a rounded matching edge.

Everything was going fine but the 3/4 ply + the 1.5" 2 x 2 was too much length for the whiteside bit I was using. After smelling the burnt wood I investigated and found the problem. The collet rubbed on and burnt the plywood during the plunge.

Do I need to be concerned I damaged my collet?

I have not pulled the bit and inspected the collet but assuming it looks OK, and tightens down, is there any thing I need to further inspect?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
the heat may have changed the temper or case harden it......

loss of temper - it won't hold well or deform..
case harden - it will break/crack...

then again you just may have got lucky...
I'd keep a spare on hand...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the comments.

It was more than a few seconds, but not a lot more, I think I made a couple passes before I realized I had hit the depth limit and was rubbing on the plywood. I started smelling the wood and should have stopped right away, as the burnt wood smell became more intense I took a close look and saw my mistake.

I also had some concern of the collet rubbing on the work surface at the high speed and some possible bend or deforming that could have caused damage.

I assumed all was OK but thought I would ask those who know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts