Router Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm starting to like the idea of combining wood and metal in my box making, so starting off very slow, I added some brass strips to the joints on this one.

This is as complicated as I can make at the moment. I used a birdsmouth cutter for the joints. The top and bottom are in dado slots, all done on the router table, and most panels are thicknessed on my router sled.
The box is made of Teak front and back, Walnut ends, and Bubinga top, bottom, and corners, with the legs edged with Sycamore.

i must admit the brass in the slits was an afterthought, and its not immediately obvious but i like the idea enough to have ordered some brass banding for future boxes.
I have a treasure chest in the pipeline and that will have a lot of brass on it.

This box is 13" x 6" x 4" high. I still have to find a latch for the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Bob people will like that. Do you know why? Because I like it. :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used my usual home mixed wipe on poly.
But I'm starting to have problems sourcing oil based poly, many of our shops have gone "green" and stock water based now.

The brass is 12 mm x 1 mm cut from a sheet. Its a tight slot fit into the wood, but I roughed the surface on a grind wheel first and then ran CA (superglue) into the slot. And of course theres several coats of varnish been rubbed into the joints. It shines when the box is in a certain light. A bit understated and not immediately noticed, but I get nice comments when people do see it.
It should hold, but hey, its a prototype. i might use a 2 part epoxy next time.
I normally just make what ever shape box I want to and then see if anybody wants to buy it, but luckily this box has been claimed by a good friend, so if it comes apart she will just tell me.
And today someone else visited and has put in an order for the "same again please" (lol)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
It's beautiful work, but I was concerned about the wood end grain to metal joints. It's much like a cross grain situation where the end grain expands in width, but the smooth metal doesn't change in size much at all. I was kind of hoping that you had found an even better solution than the epoxy that I have used when gluing wood to metal.
I hope it holds up well. If it's kept in a relatively stable temperature and humidity controlled environment, It shouldn't have any problems. Crazy glue is strong, but very brittle. Epoxy is strong and flexible.

Charley

1 - 11 of 11 Posts