Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to routing. I was testing a dado just 1/8 deep sing a 1/4 inch straight bit for dadoes. It cuts but there are fuzzy wood edges with some burning. The bit feels sharp. I tried feeding from opposite direction with same result.
Need help!
Thanks
Cal

· Registered
31,266 Posts
I am new to routing. I was testing a dado just 1/8 deep sing a 1/4 inch straight bit for dadoes. It cuts but there are fuzzy wood edges with some burning. The bit feels sharp. I tried feeding from opposite direction with same result.
Need help!
Thanks
Cal
what species of wood and what brand of bit???
what speed???
are you cutting with or across the grain???

· Super Moderator
John
6,981 Posts
Hello Calixto, glad you found us, it's great to have you as a member of the community, welcome to Router Forums.
Dado are hard to cut , first the burning probably do feed rate to slow,fussy cause because of bit rotation no matter which you go one side is wrong, usually when you're cutting wide dado you can use a smaller bit go one way then finish the cut on the other side
Stick is right with the grain or against it makes a lot of difference

· Registered
Rick
17,598 Posts
Feels sharp? I don't think that counts lol . That's like saying I'm sharp :D
As soon as I hear the word smoke I associate that with a dull bit or your pushing your material to quickly

Btw I bought bits from crappy tire and they worked well for the first few inches then it was a smoke show . I was cutting into mdf and they were non carbide bits

It may help if the experts here knew the make of your router bit

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Feels sharp? I don't think that counts lol . That's like saying I'm sharp :D
As soon as I hear the word smoke I associate that with a dull bit or your pushing your material to quickly
Burning is more likely from feeding the wood too slowly!

I 'd guess dull bit on the burning. Some fuzzing depending on the type of wood and cut direction is more or less normal. If the bit is sharp, the fuzzing will sand off very easily.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you for your input. I do apologize for not getting back sooner but I was away. I tried using a new bit a viola no problem. What felt sharp was not so. Some bits were given to me so I have learned that old not so sharp bits can burn and fuzzy up...I am new to routing so you have not heard the last of me. Its great to know there are knowledgeable folks out there to help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.