Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a pine wood piece like this:

placed in a spot that might require some strength, and it snapped diagonally, like this:

I made myself these, and the easiest way to cut them maybe is not the best way. I start from a 2"1/4x2"1/4 pine piece.

Any ideas? I suspect if I use a different grain direction, it would help, but before that, let me know if that is correct.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
unless you can find enough heart grain or a hardwood w/ tighter grain do it as a 2 piece glue up w/ opposing grain...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
How would that be? I have no problem gluing them (I'd have to make a lot of them) but I'm not sure how should I make them in this case, can you show me some pictures about the opposite grain stuff?.
Art, what are the dimensions of this block...

using this pic...

cut the lower ear off...
rotate this small square 90°....
now glue the square to the top of and all the way to the right edge of the rectangular block...

IRL (In Real Life) you are going to make separate rectangular and square shaped strips and glue them up into an ''L''...
slice to length...

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
I am curious what are these blocks to be used for, are they support blocks and are they visible to the completed project?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I am curious what are these blocks to be used for, are they support blocks and are they visible to the completed project?
we're not suppose to know...
it' part of the guessing game...
load point and shear direction are top secret...
and don't ask how they are being fastened into place...
might be too much to bear......

Reactions: aahwhatever2

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on the results of your last election, Pablo!
Things can only get better now (we hope)... :)

Forbes Welcome
Dani, yeah, it was a big triumph, the last 12 years were a disaster to our country, now there is a silver lining.

Art, what are the dimensions of this block...

using this pic...

cut the lower ear off...
rotate this small square 90°....
now glue the square to the top of and all the way to the right edge of the rectangular block...

IRL (In Real Life) you are going to make separate rectangular and square shaped strips and glue them up into an ''L''...
slice to length...
They are 2"1/2 long by 1"1/4 tall.

They are meant to hold together a MDF structure, that I will post pictures about soon.

we're not suppose to know...
it' part of the guessing game...
load point and shear direction are top secret...
and don't ask how they are being fastened into place...
might be too much to bear......
Hey hey 0:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Pablo ~ Good question and even better photos to illustrate your question. I really liked your "Explain Like I'm Five" photo. Did Stick's response help? I, too, am often faced with your dilemma. Often the glue-up that Stick recommended solves the problem. I think that your type of question is what helps us all become better woodworkers.

We study the grain patterns of different wood species, make some tests, and compare notes with other woodworkers. That's why I especially like this web site. :wink:

Holiday greetings

Bob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sure it helped, I will glue them later and take more pictures to illustrate it better.

Doing some proper strength tests is gonna be hard without instruments I'm afraid, so I will trust it works :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you have a band saw, resaw and make your own plywood.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph

Ralph! You meant resaw the wood that he is using, then glue the pieces turning over in 90 angle each time? Am I understanding correctly? thanks!
Sid.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Quote:

Ralph! You meant resaw the wood that he is using, then glue the pieces turning over in 90 angle each time? Am I understanding correctly? thanks!
Sid.
Using the same wood species(not the pieces pictured), do as you described. Then cut out pieces into the shapes pictured.

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
558 Posts
Quote:
Using the same wood species(not the pieces pictured), do as you described. Then cut out pieces into the shapes pictured.

Thanks too much Ralph!!!
Sid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts