Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up some wood today from an estate sale that had been stored for over 20 years is dry storage.
I have to plane it to be sure ,but I think there is some usable stuff in there. Some Black Walnut,Aromatic Cedar, Red Alder, Spalted Alder, Dogwood.

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Good Score!

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
Theo
7,194 Posts
Nice score.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
what we gonna be making Herb...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the response , I am not sure what projects I will use it for yet.
I split it with my cousin, we made a donation to the Seattle Central Community College woodworking program, that the deceased was a graduate, and his spouse requested we do so. He was also a member of our WW club.

I left behind the cherry burls, and big cherry and other rounds for the wood turners,since I don't turn and my van was getting loaded down. Also left behind a stack of 2'X12' long veneer that was clamped between 2 long planks bolted together so couldn't see what it was. But I am still flush with veneer, can't even give it away, also it was pouring rain and would have had to tie it to the rack on the van and it would have gotten soaked.
@cherryvilleChuck, Chuck, I wish I could make a bunch of those motorcycles to give to you guys, still can't get those out of my mind, they are absolutely national treasures, the skill that went into those is phenomenal.

Herb

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Estate Agent, or Executor, is lucky to have found you, Herb! I'm guessing he/she didn't have a clue what all that lumber was.
Winners all around, eh? :)
The way it played out,Dan was the fellow was a member of our woodworking club and had been a VP in the past. He and his wife both attended meetings until he fell ill with brain cancer.
He was a Boeing Engr. and liked wood working so he went through the woodworking classes at the Seattle Central Community College woodworking program and graduated. several years ago.
He had been storing this wood for over 20 years so when he retired he could set up a shop and have a hobby.
When he passed away his wife contacted me to see if I could sell the wood and give the money to the SCCC woodworking program. So Me and My cousin also a hobby woodworker just bought the wood ,gave her the money so she could make the donation. We had no idea what we were getting, there was no way to tell as you can see in the pictures of the pile, until it is cleaned up.
So we gave her a generous amount,seeing as it was also earmarked for a donation, and we get what we get.
It will take a little work to get it cleaned up before we know,but I am certain we were fair with her. If it turns out that we rooked her, we will send her a check to make up for it.

Herb

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
As always Herb, you prove yourself to be a class act. If there is very much of that walnut in the pile you may be sending more money. That was very nice wood. If you have any problems planing it then I suggest taking a spray bottle and dampening the surface first. I have some birch that old and doing that helps reducing tearout with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.