Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to try to make some crown molding using my Bosch 1619 router mounted to my Bosch benchtop router table. After pricing the cost of crown molding, I think I should be able to save some money. I've read some good tutorials and found some relatively inexpensive bits to try the project out with.

However, I don't know what type of wood to use. I was thinking poplar because it is fairly cheap and paints well. What type of wood do you guys recommend with the goal being to save money?

Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
If you are going to paint it, I'd use the poplar.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I'd go with poplar or pine however I don't think that you are going to save much money. With the cost of clear wood it is very expensive to make a large style molding. I use the composite stuff most of the time and it looks just like wood when painted.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I want to try to make some crown molding using my Bosch 1619 router mounted to my Bosch benchtop router table. After pricing the cost of crown molding, I think I should be able to save some money. I've read some good tutorials and found some relatively inexpensive bits to try the project out with.

However, I don't know what type of wood to use. I was thinking poplar because it is fairly cheap and paints well. What type of wood do you guys recommend with the goal being to save money?

Thank you for the help!
Hi Paul - I'd go with the poplar, pine can give you some pitch issues (not always but the threat is there) unless sealed with shellac.
Doing long lengths of molding on a benchtop table could be problematic. Make sure the table is well anchored and use featherboards both on the fence to hold it down and on the table to keep it against the fence. For long stuff like that I use 4 featherboards two on the fence, and two on the table on both the infeed and outfeed sides.:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure to clamp everything down and use 4 feather boards as you suggest. Also, I'm curious about the composite stuff. What is that?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I'll be sure to clamp everything down and use 4 feather boards as you suggest. Also, I'm curious about the composite stuff. What is that?
You can find it at most of the big box stores. It is always primed white so you may mistake it for the pine they sell. It is a lot cheaper, easy to install (if any crown can be considered easy) and doesn't separate at the corners like wood does in the winter. One other issue with making your own is the size limitation that you get with router bits. I think you will be limited to under 3".

·
Registered
182 Posts
You could use Poplar, or MDF, if it's to be painted. With MDF, you would be limited to 8' lengths. You can rout your moulding, using smaller bits than an overall size for the crown. By making small profiles, you can stack them up to get a larger moulding, something like this for instance...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I was at Home Depot yesterday and was surprised to see that the price of the composite is now almost the same price as the pine. They sell all their crown by the foot which is nice. You can buy it in lengths up to 16 feet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Actually depending on how much Molding you wish to put up a Contractor Bundle is even cheaper than the loose stuff on the floor. I think it is in lots of 12 or 15 sticks for each bundle, but if you are doing several rooms just a few cents per foot can add up.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
another vote for the poplar...

MDF is really tough on cutters and the dust is terrible stuff to be around.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts