Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks Herb...
she sure has talent..

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
A beautiful blending of art and woodworking.

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
WOW...that is really some handiwork...too intricate for my skills...

Thanks for sharing...

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
I've never seen anything like it. Wouldn't a photo-shoot showing how she makes some of those magnificent items be great.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never seen anything like it. Wouldn't a photo-shoot showing how she makes some of those magnificent items be great.
She did a slide show presentation, along with explaining her techniques and displaying her many items she had made.

She resaws all of her wood on an 18" band saw,some of it to .010". soaks it in containers of hot dye, uses Epoxy to glue everything, cut all the angles with a 12"dia. SMS, Turns them on the Jet Lathe,or on the SouthBend metal cutting lathe, and finishes them all with Epoxy.

Her jewelry is not cheap the bracelets run from $450.-$750. each, the colors are bright and magnificent.

She teaches class of 10 students at a time, for $1000/student.

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The website lists classes you can take. These are really creative layering exercises. Fasinating repeating patterns.
Tom, she laminates up blocks of strips of the resawn wood and then reaws them into strips of varying sizes and widths, glues them together,then chops them up at angles then reglues them into strips and rips them again and chops them up and reglues them and resaws them ,then glues them into blocks that she turns on the lathe.

The key to the whole thing is visualizing what the final pattern is going to be before she stops chopping reglueing and resawing, and that is only in HER head.

If you read her Bio you will see the varied training and hands-on education she has had through the years. She is a journeyman carpenter,/cabinet maker/violin-maker/architectural designer,etc.
Herb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.