Router Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another project I finished recently.

It is a solid red oak laptop that opens to a whiteboard. I made four of these for each of my grandchildren. I finished it about a month ago. The grandchildren love them. They play with them all the time.

The design is such that the lids are held closed by two magnets that are embedded into the bottom with matching brass colored washers mounted to the lids. The lids only open to 110 degrees (normal laptop viewing angle). The whiteboard area is recessed by 1/8". The whiteboard is made from Rust-oleum whiteboard paint. It is a two part epoxy paint that has about 35-40 minutes of open time for application after mixing the two parts together. Under the Whiteboard paint, I used Rust-oleum magnetic primer. This is a black primer that has a lot of iron in it so that magnets will stick. I applied 6 layers of this primer, then sanded it to a very smooth finish. I then applied 3 layers of the white board paint. The instructions for the epoxy whiteboard paint say to use a roller. After trying this, I discovered that the rollers leave a mottled finish. I then sanded it off and bought new paint and used my HVLP sprayer to put down a perfectly smooth finish. I painted outside on a low humidity, bright sunny day. The result was that the paint dried in about 10 minutes. This allowed me to do all three coats before its open time was used up.

I recessed an area on the outside of the lid to accommodate a business card. I then printed the business card with the message "Made especially for (name) by Papa DeYoung". The font I used is a marker font that I downloaded from the web. I then glued this to the lid and covered with poly (decapaged) to preserve it forever into the lids.

I also included whiteboard markers and whiteboard washable crayons with each laptop. I routed out crayon and marker wells into the base.

The wood finish is minwax Red Oak finish with Minwax polyurathane. I applied 4 coats of poly to the wood, lightly buffing with 000 steel wool between coats. I finished the stain and poly before doing the whiteboard portions. Then masked off this before spraying on the primer and whiteboard paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
Theo
7,195 Posts
Very nice job. May steal this idea to make one similar for my young grandson.

·
Official Greeter
20,101 Posts
Great project, Glenn.

How long before a Tablet goes in......VBG.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the compliments.

Note for those who want to make these:
The one key thing on this design is the placement of the hinges. The center of the hinge pins have to be in line with the 40 degree miter of the rear edges. If they aren't in line, then the angle of the open laptop will not be correct. I routed out below the hinge plates to recess the hinges, but located the hinges for enough forward to keep the center of the hinge pins in line with the rear mitered edges. This allows the entire rear edge of the cover and base to lay flat too each other when the lid is fully opened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.