Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I give credit to Tim Detweiler and his beautiful book,Making Wooden Locks.
This was a really fun project, and I will probably make some more.
I had this ambrosia maple board that I made the wall hanger out of with some ash loops attached.
I think the hardest one to make was the combo lock, it works most of the time on the first try, unless I am showing someone and then it takes 10 tries to get it to open. No problem with the rest of the key type locks. They have wooden springs on the mechanisms and are all wood construction.
The designs are all actual duplication's of working metal locks.
I hope you enjoy,

Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I did enjoy...
how did you do the round shackles...
great work Herb...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did enjoy...
how did you do the round shackles...
great work Herb...
I made the shackles from a 3/4" thick ash board on the locks and a 1/2" thick board on the wall mount. After I cut them out on the scroll saw ,I routed them on the router table with a 1/4 round bit. Worked great,only blew up one going around the outside endgrain.
Herb

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
Herb those are super cool as I've never seen that done before . As a kid I was always infatuated with locks and I'm surprised I never became a lock smith lol.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Great work, Herb. Took a lot of patience I sure.

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Premium Member
17,430 Posts
For some reason the combo lock didn't upload so here is the close up.
That's one of my favorites . I was thinking that internally it may be a challenge to work right as it has to have a pretty smooth movement inside , so I can see why it takes a few goes . Nice work Herb , as they all look awesome

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
masterpieces Herb...

Reactions: ksidwy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Herb, I am in awe of the work you have done. The time it must have taken and the care with which you finished each piece really showed off your craftsmanship and the beauty of the wood. Well done.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Wow, Herb... I'm in total awe! I've seen the books on those locks; absolutely gorgeous man!

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the compliments. It was one of the most fun projects I have done. I tried earlier to post the way the shackles and loops were made, but the internert has been down all day and just came back up and running. So here are pictures of the making of the shackles.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
thanks Herb...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hey, Herb, how about a step by step just to see how it is done start to finish on a complete lock?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Very Impressive work Herb!!!

Does the book give step by step directions? Thanks for sharing. Especially the photos. They are great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts