Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weekend before last I made a Shoulder Plane mock-up (Pic 1) and then on Monday and Tuesday I made the real plane. The second plane pictures 2,3,4, I moved the plane iron back 1" and lowered the Medallion.
The design came from a U-Tube video Stick sent me.

Moving the plane iron improved the cutting action.
Herb

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
That was an excellent video...truly one of those "picture's worth a thousand words"...

What can't you do...!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's getting to the point I'm never surprised at what you can do. This truly looks like a piece that should be in a case on display rather than a workbench. On second thought it actually looks like it belongs on the artisan's workbench, your's of course, with shavings around it. Absolutely beautiful. What wood did you decide to use?

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It's getting to the point I'm never surprised at what you can do. This truly looks like a piece that should be in a case on display rather than a workbench. On second thought it actually looks like it belongs on the artisan's workbench, your's of course, with shavings around it. Absolutely beautiful. What wood did you decide to use?
The main body is IPE. and the side inserts are Purple Heart. The IPE is a dense heavy wood that looks horrible before it is finished,then it is beautiful rich dark brown color.
The finish is spray can Lacquer.
The IPE gives the plane good heft, so it feels good and weight to hold it down.

The Purple heart was the end of a board that went from purple to tan, it looks kind of like a sunrise/sunset over a lake.
@gmercer_48083 I bought the plane irons from WoodCraft over the internet.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/...1c7e69702d3baa000a33,57641c8f69702d65930009c9

Herb

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Herb. I've never heard or seen IPE but now it's on my radar.
https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-ipe-wood-2736661
It is not for everyone, though, some people have toxic reactions to the sawdust and the splinters are fierce. It does not plane well as chunks will come out even planing with the grain. Sanding and sawing and routing seem to be very easy.

I like working with it.
Herb

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Now we know what Herb's going to give his ww club this year for Xmas. Better get started now on them, Herb. How many you gotta make??

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
This is very timely Herb. I've been keeping an eye out for a shoulder plane lately and the idea of making one as opposed to buying one is very attractive.

Reactions: Herb Stoops
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.