Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

Just wondering if anybody has ever used/purchased/ received as a gift something from Woodpeckers woodworking(https://www.woodpeck.com/). I get a heads up via e-mail a couple of times a week about new products and such. Their stuff looks like it is well made and of good quality but dang it is expensive.

Just looking for thoughts or reviews

Thanks

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I have a little bit of their stuff..
quality is never an issue...

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Like Stick, I got a handful of their tools, mostly measuring/marking. Excellent quality and craftsmanship. Built to last.
Over the last few years though, their pricing has gone from mid to high end to just ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
their centering rule is next level 1st rate...
however, their poly gauge is about 50 bucks less at LeeValley...

you retired yet, Bill...

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Hey, Don like everyone says I have some but want more or maybe all their tools. They are very nice and well made. As far as price I think they are all high but I think some of the tools may be worth it while other tools are stupid high.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all..

I have not bought anything there yet and I will not be I do not think, I just find it too expensive and once you add the exchange between US and CA $ well..

I have and will probably will continue to buy from Lee Valley when required.

Thanks for the input I was just wondering

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
I don't know if I could handle direct access to a LV store...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stick

I live about 45 minutes from on. A nice day of shopping for me :)

Reactions: OPG3

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick

they have to drag me kicking and screaming out of one at closing time...

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
I have two of their items, a jig with gauge (see picture) for aligning blade and fence which I only use occasionally, and which I'd hate to be without. I found out my fence is not quite flat, with about 4 thousandths variation--negligable.

The second item is their router plate, see pic., which is close to 1/8th inch thicker than competitive plates, and it has a twist lock insert that is convenient, and has a set of inserts of various sized openings that fit.

Very expensive and many items that look like a solution without a problem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Stick

LOLOL... man ohhhh man... 45 minutes..sheez

In very, VERY short order, the Mrs. would give me several "NON NEGOTIABLE" options to consider...:frown:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I got a couple of their rulers/straight edges on sale when they were closing out their Pinnacle brand. I bought a 12" ruler when they had it on sale as an impulse purchase. Took it home, and used it for a day. Went back the next day and got a 36" Straight edge. These are my primary measure tools now, and have been for many years. Would not have any issues paying full price for one now.

I have not bought any of their one-time tools.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
I got a couple of their rulers/straight edges on sale when they were closing out their Pinnacle brand. I bought a 12" ruler when they had it on sale as an impulse purchase. Took it home, and used it for a day. Went back the next day and got a 36" Straight edge. These are my primary measure tools now, and have been for many years. Would not have any issues paying full price for one now.

I have not bought any of their one-time tools.
I've been looking for a black Pinnacle Tsquare for years now... they just don't come up for sale... same with most of the Pinnacle stuff. Go onto the bay and all you see is pretty much full retail on both WP and Pinn.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
their centering rule is next level 1st rate...
however, their poly gauge is about 50 bucks less at LeeValley...

you retired yet, Bill...
Retirement? Hell no... :crying:

fact is, last month, 200 of us took a conference call, only to be told we were out of a job. Very classless way to let go of over 200 guys, most of
whom including myself had over 40 years....

so I'm back on the market...ohh yeah!!

·
Premium Member
20,449 Posts
Bill, my health retired me. I've been self employed about 40 years, and got spoiled. Most employees are paid about 5 times their contribution to the company income. So I routinely matched my employed income in a few months. The days of loyalty from corporations is long gone, and I wonder that any person in business expects loyalty from employees anymore. Amazing how many of my clients just don't get that in general, you get what you give, and probably a little less. Good thing that the jobs picture is pretty good these days for anyone who has a decent resume.

And, you're right, that's a crappy way to let people go. If you ever get a chance to see it, George Clooney did a picture about a guy whose job is to let people go. Pretty heartless stuff. Today, my boss's name is Jean, and she has decided to keep me on for the duration.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Retirement? Hell no... :crying:

fact is, last month, 200 of us took a conference call, only to be told we were out of a job. Very classless way to let go of over 200 guys, most of
whom including myself had over 40 years....

so I'm back on the market...ohh yeah!!
ouch...

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I admit to having possession of several of their products including my Superfence and Micro adjuster for that fence. Both are pricey but when I was looking for a well made fence and compared to several others it placed very well and on sale. The micro adjuster for the fence gives you excellent micro adjustments to set the fence exactly. I also have one of their 1812 squares that works very well. That I know I paid too much for but it is a very nice square. I also have some of the box corner clamps, stainless steel step gauges, and a Stainless Steel Paolini Pocket Rule. Other than one of the fence stops that about covers my inventory of their product. I had once considered their dado stacking jig to concisely set the blade cut width accurately before taking it on and of, and on and off, and then on and off again, making test cuts all along the way but just couldn't seem to pull the trigger on that one. I can see that one as a big time saver in setting exact blades, chippers, and shims before installing on the saw if you make a lot of varying sized dados.

Now if money was no issue I'd probably have most everything they've made but my wife says money is an issue so I guess I'll have to be happy with what I have....

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
My stuff has to be tough and unfortunately, sometimes a tool gets misplaced and to keep my prices fair; I just do not buy over-priced items.
Their products are great quality, but we're not building Rolex watches - just concrete forms!

Otis Guillebeau from Auburn, Georgia

·
Registered
690 Posts
they have to drag me kicking and screaming out of one at closing time...
Then you you will understand that, as a visitor from the Dark Continent to the downtown Toronto LV, the only reason I left was that I had to fly to Cairo for a WHO meeting. When friends told me a year or two later, that there was an opening for a store manager,I had to sit on my hands to stop myself applying.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts