Router Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
Woodsmith is OK, but my choice, and the only one I subscribe to, is Fine Woodworking. No particular reason... both publications are full of advertising, this is how they pay the bills after all. I just find the "how to" articles in FW better.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Hmmm...my Woodsmith has NO advertising.
After subscribing to several woodworking mags, I've dropped all but Woodsmith. Decent projects and some great shop tips. I like it but, YMMV.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
I subscribed for several years, but specialty magazines often have about a 4 year cycle. There are only so many topics and every four years or so, they go back and repeat. The magazine now incorporates a ShopNotes style centerspread that is often pretty good, although you get an occasional feeling of deja vu. I no longer subscribe. I do enjoy the occasional Fine Woodworking issue I find at HD.

·
Super Moderator
5,816 Posts
When they stopped publishing ShopNotes, some of the plans were incorporated in to Woodsmith magazine each issue. My hobby has switched to all things CNC, so I let the subscription expire (And Wood Magazine also).

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a collection of magazines that is at least a couple hundred or more. I also find that articles often repeat or different mags will run similar articles. I no longer subscribe to any of them, I look through my collection and can find just about anything. At one point I was getting Woodsmith and Shop notes and found the articles often repeated from one to the other but I enjoyed them. Others were Fine Woodworking, Wood, many special issues from Wood about specific things, and a few Canadian Workshop and a local French one also.
I keep getting e-mails from them all and when I see the complete collections on a USB key, I am tempted but it's too much $ for a want not a need.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have a collection of Woodsmith & Shopnotes from their inception to the last Shopnotes and to the current issue of Woodsmith. I have most of the issues of Wood magazine. I occasionally pick up FW if it has something that catches my eye. They will repeat something occasionally for the benefit of younger readers. I don't really have a problem with that because they will usually bring it up to current standards. I like the magazine and will reference back with their index if I want info for a current project. Of course at my age I might not remember seeing something so it will all appear new to me. lol

My only problem is storage space so I am considering going to their memory stick version, but I like having the magazine to browse through.

I guess value is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to subscribe. As they have no advertising I thought I could ask for an honest opinion on the choice of a table saw. I got a long letter, going into endless detail on why they could not answer my question. I always thought their furniture designs were often kind of ugly. I dropped my subscription. I also used to subscribe to Popular Woodworking, which I liked better, but now it is just Fine Wiodworking. That is a class publication and the people giving advise are masters of the craft.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.