Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am trying to get back into woodworking I am interested knowing what magazines other members here read. I might want to pick up a subscription or two - I am always interested in tool reviews, how to articles, and of course project ideas/plans.

What do you read and what do you like about that magazine?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
it's kinda like pick one...
I always liked Taunton of yesteryear...
the new Taunton is - not so much...
better well written articles and everything you are looking for...

Reactions: difalkner

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
There are a good number of good magazines to choose from and the articles vary form one to the other. You could look at their respective websites and get a fair idea of what they offer both in print and online. There's Fine Woodworking, Woodsmith, Woodworkers Journal, Woodcraft, and several others. Taunton Press Store has Fine Woodworking magazine as well as many books, videos, online classes and such.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I read Wood, Woodworkers Journal, and Woodsmith. I like the articles and have built several projects from the magazines. When I started wood working, I also took Workbench. Now I only read the first three.

Frank

·
Premium Member
19,019 Posts
Steve's list pretty much covers the available titles. I like the newer version of Woodsmith which incorporates a section of what might have been the best journal ever, Shop Notes. However, my vision is making it hard to read that small print, so I have chosen to go digital.

You can buy digital collections of most magazines today for about twice the cost of one annual subscription. Display them on a large screen to read, then print out project pages for something you decide to make. As a former magazine editor (did several specialty magazine startups), I know there are about 4 years of possible stories without repeating the cycle. So these back issues cover much the same material, what differs is the concentration on types of projects. I have both Shop Notes, Fine Woodworking and the whole 13 seasons of videos of Woodsmith Shop TV programs. Many of these TV shows are in repeats on public TV.

There is a wealth of information on techinque, project ideas and execution on Youtube. Woodworkers Guild of America also has some pretty good material, and I'll leave it to others to suggest their favorite video producers, most of which are one man/woman operations. Some have gone commercial with sponsors and amazing shops full of sponsors' tools. But most are shot in garages.

My favorite source of router information is watching youtube videos by Marc Sommerfeld. He uses his own tools and bits and jigs, but he's a former cabinet maker and his techniques are ultra simple and worth watching. Most video makers remove the safety devices so you can see more clearly what's happening. Best to leave them on your own machine whenever possible.

For tool reviews, start online for best tool listings for whatever tool you're thinking of buying. Most magazines will run reviews of tools, some in more detail than others. You can also get some good information about purchases here on Router Forums. Many here have older gear so if you are thinking of buying a used machine, you can get some good input from the folks here.

Since you're getting going, you might find the attached pdf interesting. It's about the eighteen plus things that accelerated my progress at woodworking. It's long, but has pictures, and hopefully it will help you avoid some of the costly mistakes I made. It covers about 12 years. I acquired my tools mostly during my highest earning years, so don't think you have to get it all at once. I never could make anything really nice until I got a really good table saw, so to me, that's where to start IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am subscribed to Finewoodworking online unlimited. The price is a bit steep at $99 per year but it gives you access to all of their issues and lets you search. When I start a project I search the site and there is always great tips, articles and videos which will save you pulling out your hair and a lot of money in wasted wood from mistakes. The tool reviews and video series are excellent. It took my woodworking to the next level.

If you ever get stuck on a project, ask away on here. These guys know everything.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
A bit a naysayer here. At one time I subscribed to the majority of the magazines noted above and over time started to see the same projects and reviews rotate through each one so I dropped them. Still red the Woodworkers journal because a friend subscribes and he gives me the old ones. Overall thIs forum, Lumberjocks and Somefield are hard to beat and a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Used to subscribe to several. Now the only one I subscribe to is WoodenBoat. I like wooden boats, and the articles show some amazing quality of woodwork.

·
Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Not being sarcastic, just honest. I read You Tube... alot! Anything and everything you could ask for is probably available to watch. And honestly, I hate reading of any kind, except for the pictures. :)

Some of my favorite things to watch include drag racing, woodworking, CNC stuff, 3d printing, learning Sketchup, Microsoft Excel, and a whole lot more.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've subscribed to them all at one time or another. I'm down to two now. Woodsmith and Wood. I like having plans for projects and I like the inspiration I get from the magazines, but with what they cost today and the limited amount of time I have.... And to be sure there is YouTube but IMHO most of us spend way too much time with our devices. I play 3-6 games of chess a week. During this pandemic period I've played on-line at chess.com. But two weeks ago our group (Old Farts Chess Club) decided to begin meeting in person again, outside with masks. It is so much better to sit across the table from a person!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Woodsmith and Wood. I like Woodsmith because the drawings are great, instructions are clear and there is no ads. I subscribe to their Online version also. Wood has a lot of ads, some are informative. I find projects in Wood are less relevant to my personal interest although I find some of the techniques covered are very useful. And I am a big fan of YouTube. You do have to be careful because some of the YouTubers are not really experts and some of the things I find there are dubious in terms of safety.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know there are about 4 years of possible stories without repeating the cycle.
Tom: Thanks for quantifying the repeat cycle. There are only so many things you can write about. I would hate to be in a business as competitive as woodworking magazines.

·
Super Moderator
3,529 Posts
Early FWW 'back in the day', some Shop Notes before it ended, now only forums and YouTube like Mike said. Mostly I'm in the shop doing what I do and only come up for air when there's research to be done. I do have the FWW electronic subscription that allows me to watch their videos and see some articles but it's not the $99/year subscription, seems like it's about $35.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
I’ve subscribed to FWW, ShopNotes, Woodworkers Journal (meh), Woodsmith, and Popular Woodworking.

I agree with the other comments and will add that of all the publications, my current favorite is Pop Wood, because it has an equal split between hand and power tool articles, and its projects are nontraditional/atypical. Being a hybrid woodworker, that is a good help. Also, I really, really like Chris Schwartz’s nerdy deep dives into the historical foundations of our modern woodworking projects — his articles and books about workbenches are seminal and essential for any woodworker contemplating making their own bench.

Being more and more of a handtools-only kind of guy (for cost, space, and health reasons), I truly appreciate Paul Sellers’ YT channel.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Not being sarcastic, just honest. I read You Tube... alot! Anything and everything you could ask for is probably available to watch. And honestly, I hate reading of any kind, except for the pictures. :)

Some of my favorite things to watch include drag racing, woodworking, CNC stuff, 3d printing, learning Sketchup, Microsoft Excel, and a whole lot more.
Here there are no options to choose from. I have some old woodworking magazines that I bought when we were happy. Now I do the same as Mike, read youtube when internet service is available.:frown::frown::frown::frown:

·
Premium Member
19,019 Posts
One more thing, you can buy CDs with all back issues of several magazines, including ShopNotes. That publication includes detailed plans and excellent drawings and illustrations of a thousand or more projects. I find this is a really valuable resource. I also like that on a big screen it is easier for my old eyes to read. And of course, YouTube is a very good resource.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts