Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning Y'all,
I'm looking for a heavy long-sleeved shirt to wear in the shop. I've been wearing heavy flannel or chamois from LL Bean in the winter, but they grab the sawdust like velcro. In the summer, I wear short-sleeved fishing shirts, which shed sawdust well, but I don't want to heat the shop quite that warm. I'm hoping for a warm comfortable shirt that sheds sawdust. Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Andy,

Try a Dickie's long sleeved work shirt. You can usually find them at Wally World.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
I like the Carharts, I get them online from Gemplers,or Sportsmans Guild and I wear a long sleeve knit shirt under. In the summer I wear the sleeveless Carharts or Sportsman Guild kahkis with a T shirt under.

Herb

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Andy...Cabella's Safari shirt for me...

...but...emphasis on keeping the sleeves and bottom out of the whirly things...last thing you want is to catch a piece of your shirt sleeve on your table saw as you reach across...(the image alone gives me the chills)

If you do use a long-sleeve, keep it buttoned at the bottom...if you roll it up, roll it up to at least the elbow...

...no lab coats or hospital gowns... :)

Reactions: Cherryville Chuck

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Morning Y'all,
I'm looking for a heavy long-sleeved shirt to wear in the shop. I've been wearing heavy flannel or chamois from LL Bean in the winter, but they grab the sawdust like velcro. In the summer, I wear short-sleeved fishing shirts, which shed sawdust well, but I don't want to heat the shop quite that warm. I'm hoping for a warm comfortable shirt that sheds sawdust. Anybody have suggestions?
canvass/duck cloth Roper, Wrangler, Carheart...

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
FWIW.... tears/cuts in Roper shirts resist unraveling as where Wrangle and Carhearts will fray really bad..

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for suggestions. I guess I'll have to actually enter a brick and mortar store to put my hands on some instead of just ordering online like I usually do.

·
Super Moderator
6,829 Posts
why not buy a wood turners jacket to put over the top of your warm shirt nothing will stick to it looks like a doctors smock?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
why not buy a wood turners jacket to put over the top of your warm shirt nothing will stick to it looks like a doctors smock?
I think we have a winner! Added to my Christmas List. Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just a nylon windbreaker. No matter what you get as a shirt it will still get dirty, plus ever time you go into the shop you will have to be wearing the same shirt.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Try to befriend someone who works in OR. They often have leftover disposable operating gowns, which are non-resterilisable, i.e. get trashed. Have elasticised knitted cuffs. Needs to be tied behind at the neck, but the whole thing can be thrown out if it gets too dusty. very similar to a woodturner's smock, with the same caveats about getting caught in spinning stuff.
Can be worn over whatever clothing is comfortable. Hell, I knew a whacky surgeon who insisted on operating naked under one - the scrubs made him itch.

Particularly useful for spray finishing, because disposable.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wear that saw dust like a badge. That's what I do, and it keeps me even warmer!
I've tried that . . .
"Honey, that's nothing but good clean sawdust!"
It was good for a laugh for the first 28 years, but since retirement I'm between the shop and house all day every day. The amount of sawdust that I bring in the house has become an issue that I can no longer ignore and keep domestic tranquility. I put a long sleeved turning smock from Lee Valley on my Christmas list. I'll bet I get it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I made myself an apron from canvas a couple years ago. I like it, though it's a bit too warm in the summer. If you're handy with a sewing machine you can design your own pockets.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts