Router Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I went to the woodworking show in Springfield Ma yesterday with my son. We had a good time. I talked with some of the turning clubs that were there, even though I’m not a turner (yet, who knows, I’m just starting). The TrueTrac booth (I do have one of their systems), the Festool booth (oohed and aahed, appropriately), A scrollworking club from Conn I believe (they were giving items they had made to anyone who was a veteran), and I saw the Ringmaster for the first time. Turns out they have a model that fits on a ShopSmith, which is what I have. It seems very interesting, and according to their advertising, simple enough I should be able to use it LOL. I also brought home a Veritas bag full of brochures ( my kind of shopping) Not a bad way to spend a Saturday morning in the winter.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Artie I am glad you and your son had a great time. It's been years since they have had a woodworking show in Nashville. :frown: The nearest show to me is in Atlanta which is about 200 miles. I buy off the net.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
Sounds like you two had some fun. No woodworking shows close by here, at least none I know of. Nice to put hands on tools you're considering. The veritas tools I've gotten are elegant and incredibly well made. Nashville is one of a small number of places I'd consider moving to. Nice town. Lots of hardwood.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Artie, didja buy the Ringmaster? I used one on my Shopsmith for a couple years. They work well and they are easy to use.
Glad to see another Shopsmith user here.

Reactions: artman60

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn’t buy the Ringmaster, but I’m thinking it might be the next tool purchase. The Shopsmith was bought new two years ago, and I still haven’t been able to really use it, but I’m looking forward to it. Workshop is almost built (well as much as a workshop is ever really done). I really enjoyed the show, but again I am a complete newcomer to the hobby/craft/business. I didn’t think it was big enough to justify a ride of over two hours in either direction. It’s a 1 1/2 hour ride from my Son’s house, and I would probably only go every couple of years, because of that. 14 $ admission (with everyone offering a 2$ off coupon), and 5$ to park. I talk to people and learn stuff, but maybe not enough to go every year. I was thinking/hoping there would have been more woodworking machinery to look at, but I’m guessing the logistics of getting it there, wiring it up, and demonstrating it, don’t generate enough sales to make it worthwhile. I was hoping to do some dust collector tire kicking. It wasn’t advertised at all that I saw, but I had looked online to check the show schedule, only way I knew when it was.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Which model of the SS did you buy? Mine are both MK Vs, built in the late 70s. One has a router table on one end and a fence system similar to the Incra. The brand is Jointech but, they went out of business. The other one is cut down to a shorter machine. It's used as a power station for the band saw, jointer and belt sander. And, I use it as my only drill press. I tried using the full sized one as a lathe and quickly found that turning wasn't for me.
My DC is a 2 hp from Harbor Freight. Does all I need it to do.
If you haven't already, you might want to ck out the SS users forum at https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/
And, if I can help you with anything, just holler. I'm no expert but I'll try to help or refer you to someone who can.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@Gene Howe: how about a picture of your cut down SS? I’ve had mine since the early 80's and only use it for the band saw and drill press any more. I’ve often thought of shortening it but just give it up as to much trouble.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
@Gene Howe: how about a picture of your cut down SS? I’ve had mine since the early 80's and only use it for the band saw and drill press any more. I’ve often thought of shortening it but just give it up as to much trouble.
I'll do that Richard. May be a couple days, though.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@Gene Howe: I will appreciate the pictures when it works for you. Temperature here this morning is -5 Fahrenheit here this morning so not to interested in shop work today. I can usually make it comfortable in my shop but when it’s this cold I don’t have much interest in going out there.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Here ya go.
The exposed part of the tubes is 30". The over all length is 52", measured at the bottom of the stands.

Floor Machine Flooring Wood Table

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gene, I have a new Mark 7, My thinking was if I was gonna learn woodworking, it would be better if my equipment could be depended on. When we sold Mom’s house and gave out the inheritances. I refinanced our place (we had been underwater, and now have equity, plus a lower rate, and went from 23 years left on a 30 to 15 years fixed, and $300 a month lower. This did take a check in the neighborhood of $30,000). We redid the main bathroom, replaced the HVAC system, and paid off all our debt, with the exception of the new mortgage. I also went back to school and got my Master Electricians license (Mom and Dad would have really liked that.) After all that I had the feeling that my parents would have wanted me to use some of the money for something I wanted, not needed, and I’d been wanting a workshop to do some woodworking for a while. One of the guys at work bought a Shopsmith when he was in the Marine Corps, still has it. He was telling me about it, I researched it, it fits in my tiny basement. I went for it. I know most Shopsmith owners buy used, but I didn’t want to learn woodworking and woodworking machine repair, at the same time. I am thinking of a router table, but then again I am thinking of lots of things LOL. I am on the forums at SS, started there before I bought.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Artie, That MK 7 is a sweet machine. If you have worked with the older head stocks you'd really appreciate how quiet and capable the 7 is. You're gonna love it. You know that is made by Tecnatool. They've been in the DVR business a long time. Good, reliable motor.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
I made a lot of pretty good stuff in the 80's with my Shopsmith. Still got it. Mostly use the jointer and the horizontal drill press. Never got into the lathe though. Turning tools are still in their original box.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Same here, John. I tried turning. Found it wasn't my thing.

·
Registered
21,698 Posts
I like watching others turn, but it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm luck to have thought to put a 12x24 shed in the back yard, which is chock full of tools and a workbench. Now have half the garage as well, so total combined workshop space is a 2 car garage. My wife gave me a 60 amp sub panel and I wired the shed so I have heat and AC out there.

When I'm gone, I hope someone who wants a mini forest, and office and workshop shed (insulated, wired) and a passel of good quality tools will buy it. Hate the idea of the lot being sold off for practically nothing. I hope my son and daughter in law will buy it.

Woodworking is very satisfying.

My daughter arranged a seminar locally so I'll have a nice cash infusion soon, maybe pop for some good hardwood for a furniture project or two.

Enough with the tools already. But I sure could use a folding workbench out in the garage so I don't have to get down on my knees to cut sheet goods. See, there's always something... :thank_you2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
The WW show comes to NJ on 3/2 to 3/4. Looking forward to it. They have moved. This year it is at the Meadowlands Convention center. If it is like past years, any Veritas orders placed at show, ship free.. Now that I am retired, maybe I can hook up with one of the wood turning clubs and learn a new skill. $14 for all three days; pre register for $12.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
@Gene Howe: sorry, I missed the picture of the shorter SS. Been preoccupied for the last few months with more pressing things. I really like the looks of it. How did you go about shortening the tubes? I would like to do that to mine. Mine is a Mark V also. Don’t use it a lot any more but I think it would get used more if I cut it down.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.