Router Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking out the sale add for Harbor Freight and ran across the add for their work bench.
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

With the discount coupon, that makes it $139. That is pretty cheep. :surprise:

Disclaimer: I don't have this bench so I can't vouch for its strength, usability or anything. If interested, I suggest you check it out in person at the store.

Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have looked at this bench many times. You can't build it for that price. If I didn't a have a bench, or had room for another, I would get one.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Ace Hardware has a similar bench but Ace's has both a face & a Tail vise

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
I was checking out the sale add for Harbor Freight and ran across the add for their work bench.
Wood Workbench - 60" Wood Workbench w/ 4 Drawers

With the discount coupon, that makes it $139. That is pretty cheep. :surprise:

Disclaimer: I don't have this bench so I can't vouch for its strength, usability or anything. If interested, I suggest you check it out in person at the store.

Mike
I've had this bench for several years. Got it at that price. First off, it is very solid, the vise is excellent, with bench dog holes pre drilled. Drawers are very handy, although they are not full extension. The top is actually pretty thin at about 3/4. The holes drop sawdust and shavings into the top drawers, and there isn't really a good way to block that without blocking the bench dog holes. There is also a bottom shelf and room below that for storage on the floor.

I have also checked out a very similar table at Rockler and I think they must be made by the same people.

I have done a fair amount of hand planing using this table and it has stayed solid. A few modifications have made it even more so. If you really want to make it even more rigid, add a piece of ply across the back legs.

I have made a few modifications to my table. First, I glued and screwed 1 inch thick hardwood under the table, flush with the bottom edge of the 3/4 wood on the sides and ends. This gives me much more room to place clamps and a solid mounting for the second modification, a 16x60 fold down table extension, which gives me a 36x60 surface when I need it. See picture.

The drawer hardware is pretty light duty, but works,

I recommend this table highly, especially for the price and particularly if you have a small shop.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,240 Posts
Another comment. If you want to make this table even more solid, consider when assembling it putting a slab of ply on the underside of the top, then drilling through the existing bench dog holes. It comes with pegs for the holes.

Re: The modification I mentioned. The 60 x 16 fold down extension is three layers, 3/4 MDF, 3/4 ply and finally, a top layer of 1/4 high density fiber board (Masonite) screwed and counter sunk to the MDF.

The modified table is very heavy, and my original attachment with a piano hinge was too light duty, so I replaced it with very heavy barn door type hinges. The bigger hinge required adding a 1 3/4 square piece of hardwood to the bottom of the back, bottom edge of the table.

The legs fold up under the extension and are offset just enough so they can overlap.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts