Router Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 30+ years my workbenches were "catchalls" that were used for storage, engine rebuilds, kids toys, and when I could clean it off, woodworking. When I was finally able to build a dedicated workshop, one of my first builds was a dedicated workbench. I did a lot of research and ruled out store bought, roubo, European, and many other styles. Woodsmith magazine published a shaker style bench that came close to what I wanted, so I used those plans to build my bench. I changed the plans to fit my shop and my needs. I made it a little over 7' long and 30" wide, and the top is 3" 1/8th thick and then I added 2 partitions in the top for clamping. Instead making a traditional tail vise, I bought a Veritas quick release tail vise. I made the bench the same height as my table saw/out feed table and since I don't have room for an assembly/finish table, I added a paper roll holder for butcher paper. I used European beech, some left over purple heart and walnut to add some color. If my math is correct, the bench weighs in at a little over 450lbs. There are a couple of additions I want to make for the bench, but for now it's done. The bench adds a huge range of versatility to my shop and work flow, it is my favorite tool, and makes me smile when I walk into the shop. One last thing if you build something like this by yourself, don't drop the glued up top, I heard rumors that you might break 2 toes...my toes did protect the bench top from being damaged, no pain no gain I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Bob I have seen a lot of work benches on UT and other sites but yours is about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Very Nice! It'l last forever! Well thought out too.

Reactions: Bob Adams

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Wow!! Good Job.

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
That is a thing of beauty. Probably worth a crunched toe or two. The vise setup is terrific, and making it the height of the outfeed table is a great idea.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the kind comments everyone. I had oral surgery this morning and still trying to get the fog out my head, (so the pain can take over). So hopefully I am not backwords typing!

·
Registered
Paul
1,861 Posts
Very, very nice, Bob. Sure beats my plywood nailed to 2x4s. I'd love a bench like yours.

·
Official Greeter
Ross
8,336 Posts
What they all said.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts