Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys ,a fellow from work who is also in the process of getting laid off, just talked to a friend of his who is running a communications company in Australia right now.
There looking for guys who specialize in what I do .

It’s three months in ,three months out . I thought it was kind of interesting,as I have no family to consider , so leaving the country for months at a time wouldn’t be an issue at all for me .

But I googled it ,and the drive on the wrong side of the street :(
Also I’m not good at all with heat ,and was wondering when it cools off, and what kind of temperatures to expect .
I wish I knew which area of Australia it was ,as I’m sure differant regions see differant climates .

Also, are kangaroos an issue? They don’t want to box with you unprovoked I hope?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
The North is hot and humid. It just turned into fall there.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Rick,if you are worried about the heat in Oz, stay as close to the coast as you can & you'll almost always get a nice cool sea breeze. Keep out of North Queensland (tropical) & west of the Great Dividing Range in New South Wales & western Victoria. It's coming on winter down here now, so the heat wont be a problem anyway Boxing kangaroos are only found in sideshows/carnivals. Most Canucks I've met here have liked the country that I mentioned above & maybe Harrysin or another member could talk about Out West.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
Theo
6,919 Posts
Kangaroos are not that much to worry about. It's the drop bears that are the real worry.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
James, I’m just assuming it’s one of the bigger centres like Sydney, wish I had more info . I just looked at there temps right now, and there perfect.
It’s the high 30’s C that I can’t take . Worked in 43C one week , and it was dam near impossible to think straight

Kangaroos are not that much to worry about. It's the drop bears that are the real worry.
I think I heard that too :fie:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
When you discover the location of the job/site,let me know & I'll give you my opinion, in regards to the climate in eastern Australia.I've never been to The Northern Teritory,South Australia or Western Australia so cant really comment.(Tasmania too)Winter temps vary around 10 to 20C most places. Good luck,Jamesjj

·
Registered
8,954 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
14,852 Posts
Guys ,a fellow from work who is also in the process of getting laid off, just talked to a friend of his who is running a communications company in Australia right now.
There looking for guys who specialize in what I do .

It’s three months in ,three months out . I thought it was kind of interesting,as I have no family to consider , so leaving the country for months at a time wouldn’t be an issue at all for me .

But I googled it ,and the drive on the wrong side of the street :(
Also I’m not good at all with heat ,and was wondering when it cools off, and what kind of temperatures to expect .
I wish I knew which area of Australia it was ,as I’m sure differant regions see differant climates .

Also, are kangaroos an issue? They don’t want to box with you unprovoked I hope?
My son is in the communications industry, specifically he works for the company that is contracted to maintain all the ABC (our national broadcaster) transmitters in Western Australia but they have the same set-up in all states. It is well paid but of necessity it requires lots of travelling, some by air, the rest by road.
As for the weather here in the west, in the summer it can get pretty HOT, 40°C +
(108°F) is not uncommon! As for kangaroos, I've seen plenty, on TV, a few in the grounds of our local hospital, a couple dead on the side of the roads and some at a wildlife park, one of which attempted to kick my darling wife.
I don't know if your occupation is on the list of migrants allowed into our beautiful country but I'm sure that a little web searching will answer that one.

Reactions: jj777746

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My son is in the communications industry, specifically he works for the company that is contracted to maintain all the ABC (our national broadcaster) transmitters in Western Australia but they have the same set-up in all states. It is well paid but of necessity it requires lots of travelling, some by air, the rest by road.
As for the weather here in the west, in the summer it can get pretty HOT, 40°C +
(108°F) is not uncommon! As for kangaroos, I've seen plenty, on TV, a few in the grounds of our local hospital, a couple dead on the side of the roads and some at a wildlife park, one of which attempted to kick my darling wife.
I don't know if your occupation is on the list of migrants allowed into our beautiful country but I'm sure that a little web searching will answer that one.
Harry I’m what they refer to as a maintenance tech . I maintain the plant , fiber , coax etc, which involves sweeping (which is amplifier alignment ) and plant hardening (which involves finding and repairing return path noise issues and egress to name a few).
One of our previous leaders from Canada is there right now apparently. I suspect he started a company, but I don’t know the details yet .
Only know there in a hurry to find experienced people in this field .

This is not really my job opportunity, but a co worker/friend who talked to him recently.
But I’d sure like to put my resume in amd see what happens .
I will know my departure date on Monday , so that will help ,as it’s hard to plan where you have no clue when your exiting.

I’m still a little concerned about them drop bears though :grin:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
All Koala bears are stoned, all day long. they only eat eucalyptus leaves, and move at 1/10th human speed.

I spent 3 weeks travelling australia, sydney, cairns, great barrier reef, alice springs, ayers rock, never once saw a live roo.
I did (allegedly) eat some roo canapes, as well as croc, on a desert evening meal. It had no taste that I could name.I think chicken would have been nicer.
As long as you can get out again (you couldnt for the first 100 years) why not go for it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Its not the Roo's you have to worry about as they are fine if you dont take their beer, its the spiders, crocs and snakes and the bloody drop bears you have to stay away from. Just don't sleep outside N

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts