Router Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My recent project in western red cedar reminded me that I need to be careful with my work pieces. WRC is really easy to dent and scratch so extra care was needed. I'd like to hear what you guys do to make sure you don't damage your work.

Here's a few of mine:
- I place foam sheets under big pieces. This is the 4-5 mm underlayment foam that the big boxes sell.

- For sanding I put the pieces on the grippy shelf liner. WW stores sell it as a routing pad but at about 3X the cost.

- frequently brush chips and debris off the bench.
- use blue tape a lot

Would love to hear other ideas.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
You pretty mush 'covered it', Phil! :)

When I p/u ply I try and snaffle a couple of sheets of the 4 x 8 corrugated cardboard that they get with their plywood lifts...they don't want it and I do.
Np staples in it so I have no fear of doing damage, either over or under material. It ends up finally being used for protection while painting, then off to the recycling depot (free disposal).

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
clean work area and steam out the dents before sanding/finishing...

·
Registered
487 Posts
I use 2' by 6' piece of plush carpet that I roll up and put away when not needed. Occasionally I too work with cedar and it does damage easily. Malcolm / Kentucky USA

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have a couple of U-shaped assemblies that drop on top of my sawhorses that have carpet scraps attached that I use in case I have the part on sawhorses to work on it, Also, a couple of hand brushes, one with soft (horse hair?)bristles and one with stiffer nylon bristles are lying around, and the work surface is kept as clean as possible, I've also used packing quilts to lay on the work surface when handling finished cabinets.

Jorgensen F-clamps have the orange vinyl pads on the jaws as do the pipe clamps, and other clamps have wooden pads to protect the parts.

As an aside, while a finished cabinet is bad enough, try working with a mirror-finish laminate top. Fortunately most come with a protective film on them (like Plexiglas) which works pretty good, but it's still a relief when it's peeled off and you don't see any scratches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts