Router Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Hi I have a work sharp 3000 system, which is great, but I wanted to get some new disks for it. Here in the UK they are £80 for either a smooth or rough set. Would anyone know of something that would work just as well on it???

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hi Paul,

I don't have a worksharp system. With that being said, I am not an expert on it. However, my research indicates that you are not regulated to buying the Worksharp sanding discs. I have read where several users have just used a six inch sanding disc, punched the appropriate size hole in the middle and used them on the platens.

Just buy the grit(s) that you need, poke a hole, and use some spray adhesive (if needed) and attach them.

£80 equates to around $125 USD if my conversion is correct. That is almost half of what the whole Wordsharp system cost in the US. I understand that you folks are taxed out the butt, but I would never pay that for a few pieces of sandpaper. From what I have read a lot of folks just buy extra glass platens, or make them from MDF, and attache the different grits to them. They just switch platens. Extra glass ones can be had here for around $20 USD from places like eBay.

Perhaps some other here have personal experience with the 3000 and can offer some viable alternatives.

Bill

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Paul, many people in the USA make their own disks from MDF. Make them the same size as the glass platen. Build one for each size of grit and use the same grit on each side so you don't need to flip the disk all the time. This is a great time saver.

For those not familiar with the Work Sharp they come with two styles of disks: the see through disk and the glass platen. While the glass platen gives the best results the see through wheel allows you to get a decent finish very quickly; you can see the cutting edge as you are working it. I bought extra disks so I would not have to change the sandpaper all the time. My next project is to build a base with pull out storage trays for all my disks. You can find many examples of this online.

Attachments

Reactions: plexsr and jj777746

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Hi
Hi I have a work sharp 3000 system, which is great, but I wanted to get some new disks for it. Here in the UK they are £80 for either a smooth or rough set. Would anyone know of something that would work just as well on it???

Mike,

I may have misunderstood the question. When he said, discs...smooth or rough, I took it to mean the sandpaper discs.

With that said, I have a question for you, do the MDF discs function as well as the glass platens? How well do they hold up? I was contemplating a purchase of a Worksharp. Mainly to get away from wet type sharpening systems...too messy at times. I use Arkansas stones, wet stones and wet grinders, and occasionally, employ the scary sharp sandpaper technique. All have their pros and cons, but a dry sandpaper system (Worksharp) has certain possibilities.

Bill

PS: Welcome back!

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Bill, I have not used the MDF disks but there are many articles online by people who do use them. This should work well since MDF is flat and smooth; I am sure the glass platens are the best choice.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Bill, I have not used the MDF disks but there are many articles online by people who do use them. This should work well since MDF is flat and smooth; I am sure the glass platens are the best choice.
I would agree with the use of glass, just for the longevity...cheap at $20 apiece. MDF is cheap, also, and easily replaced though.

Hopefully, between the two of us, we have answered the original question. £80 just seems excessive to the Worksharp system. If it is just the discs then they can be had cheaper and if it is a kit including sandpaper, then I would buy the disc(s) and the sandpaper separately.

Six inch discs are plentiful up to around 400 grit. For the finer grits I would go to an automotive materials supplier for 1000 and above. How do you handle your paper? Any particular source(s) for the discs?

Bill

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Bill, since the sanding disks are smaller than 6" and I did not want to spend the time trimming them I order mine from Darex. They last a very long time if you clean them and a large cleaning stick can be found at HF for about $7.

Attachments

Reactions: jj777746

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Bill, since the sanding disks are smaller than 6" and I did not want to spend the time trimming them I order mine from Darex. They last a very long time if you clean them and a large cleaning stick can be found at HF for about $7.
Thanks for the info, Mike.

I wouldn't be without my cleaning stick...most people don't clean their paper and end up throwing away still good materials because it is loaded up. Great for belt sanders!

Bill

·
Registered
519 Posts
I use mdf disk impregnated with polishing compound for knife sharpening. They work very well.
I also use 6" peel and stick sanding disc with the mdf.

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Al, what life span do you get from the MDF disks?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hi

Regards
Paul
Paul, check out Rutlands. The paper sanding discs are £22.95. It's the diamond discs that are 80 odd quid.

Buy Work Sharp Systems from Rutlands Limited

·
Registered
519 Posts
Al, what life span do you get from the MDF disks?
HI Mike

The disc that I use with peel and stick sand paper have lasted about three years. That is when I started using them. I also use the glass disc and they never wear out.

The impregnated disc last 4-6 months depending on how many knives I sharpen.

Glad you are back.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Buy Work Sharp Systems from Rutlands Limited[/QUOTE]

Wow! I knew prices were higher over there because of the VAT (taxes) but I didn't realize how much they added to the costs! The prices at Rutlands are a minimum of 50% or more then we pay for the same items in the States.

A typical Worksharp 3000 system can be had here for as low as $179 USD, compared to $312 USD at Rutlands. Typical sales taxes here (varies state to state) are normally in the 2.9 to 7.5% range.

Bill

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yep, don't forget we're called rip off britain for a reason. Here's a great example:

In the US
Milescraft Dovetail Template Master - Brad Point Bits - Amazon.com

Same product from the UK
Buy Dovetail Template Master online at Rutlands.co.uk
To be fair, those are two different beasts. The UK one has 3 router bits, instructional DVD and the template for USD 94. The equivalent in the US is this one for $46. Also, amazon often has rock bottom pricing not so sure about Rutlands.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts