Router Forums banner

Workbench (Cont'd)

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  RainMan 2.0 
Nice solid table. Looking forward to seeing more.

I used to be a photog for publications. I just found that all the negatives for photos I took for the paper are in a historical record. I'm going to go ahd digitize them. I did some nice work in those days. Not so much these days. Still working some so I have a bit of extra income still to indulge my woodworking addiction. I went to Rockler a couple of weeks ago and realized I have about every tool I can imagine wanting or needing. Mostly about buying materials now. My wood supplier has the real BB ply at $28 per 5x5 sheet. Hardwoods are an arm, leg and one other appendage to buy, but ya gotta do what ya...

Beside more picture frames, next project is a 10ft wide display cabinet with glass doors and interior illumination to go over a wall installation for TV and storage in the living room. Going to be about 16 inches high. It will hang forward of the book cases about 4 inches so I can install some down lights.

On camera; down to a Nikon D 3000 and a couple of lenses and a Nikon Coolpix which is nearly unusable in daylight, but takes excellent video. I've retired my strobe setup in favor of a couple of battery powered LED lights, which are daylight balanced. I still have my old light stands. Using a cell phone does not substitute for careful composing and finding the right angle. Anyone need an old Sekonic incident light meter and a strobe meter? Relics of a more complicated time in photography.

I'll post some of my old pictures after I digitize them. Will be a full day or two process.

Back to the table and plane. That table looks really solid and I'm looking forward to seeing the versions with the vises installed.

One of the things I've noticed about good planes is they all have heavy, thick, high quality irons, with flat backs and sharpened to a really fine edge. Flat bottoms and square sides for the body, are another thing. So if the bottom's flat and the sides are 90 to the bottom, then replacing the iron (Hock Tools), should improve performance a lot. And a good blade holds an edge much better than a lower quality one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.