Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a whole lot of time lately to do any woodworking due to work but I started a new box today. This one is in cherry with a basswood panel in the top. I will do a wood burning on the panel... kind of a border with leaves. I will put mitered keys on the box and a pull I think too. Just got the parts all cut out and it's temporarily assembled. I will have to do the wood burning next and finish the lid buy itself then finish the woodworking on the box. Anyway, here are a couple photos.

Corey

·
Retired Moderator
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL... just plain holding it together BJ, I have to take the panel out and wood burn it, then put the finish on the panel and then glue up the box and finish the woodworking, then put finish on the rest of the box. But I will use bigger rubber bands and do the glue up with them. I like using the bands.. and I like using the packing tape too. Thanks bud!

Corey

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Corey

I also like to using rubber bands or surgical tubing , I have almost stop using rubber bands because by the time I get around to using them they are old and brake on me :( but the surgical tubing stands up well to the air...I put the rubber bands in a plastic jar to keep them fresh but the still brake on me..

I tried the tape but it leaves a sticky seal on the wood..that's a pain to get off without a bit of discoloring the wood..with some cleaner ..

==========

challagan said:
LOL... just plain holding it together BJ, I have to take the panel out and wood burn it, then put the finish on the panel and then glue up the box and finish the woodworking, then put finish on the rest of the box. But I will use bigger rubber bands and do the glue up with them. I like using the bands.. and I like using the packing tape too. Thanks bud!

Corey

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
You're getting as slow as me Corey at starting new projects, but at least YOU have a good excuse, work, whereas my only excuse is a bout of lazyitus! You're box is looking very nice, I look forward to seeing it complete.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Hi Ken

I do have a set or two they do work well for picture frames,face frames,cabinet doors, etc. but for a boxes you need to use 8 per box ( that's about 80.oo dollars worth) not to say anything about the little hole you need to go back and fill with some wood filer...they do come with some rubber cups but they don't hold very well on box corners...plus little black stain marks :(

But this is just one user review :)

======

Hamlin said:
I know these aren't cheap but I think if one was to do some searchin or bargain hunting, they might work just as well as rubber bands, medical tubing, or tape.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=5151
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3860

Can't wait to see the box finished Corey. :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I hear ya Bj. Was just thought. :)

·
Registered
23,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
It really is nice Corey, but hurry up and get some finish on it, I'm impatient to see the final result.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Excellent looking box there Corey. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.