Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
VFW Post up North is honoring their most senior active member as he cuts back on his post "duties." So I did one up for them to present to him. Local paper might even be there - that's news in the north country. I think they said he's 93.

HJ

·
Registered
575 Posts
Good on you brother, I would love to shake that mans hand for all he did for our country. You should show some pics of your build, we would love to see that being made.

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
A great plaque for all to remember him for his service.

Reactions: honesttjohn

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks John for making this sign for Mr. Hagen. IMO it says a lot of good about you. I know Mr. Hagen will appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very nice sign, John. I'm sure he will like it. Not many of these fellows left and it always makes me feel good to see them honored.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Nice way to honor him. Didn't know they had the E rank designations during WWII.

Sadly, there was a mention somewhere that the WWII veterans are dying at a rate of about 1,000 per day. My father was in the PTO but never told much about his experiences there in the Air Corps as it was called at the time. He took them with him in 2002.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice way to honor him. Didn't know they had the E rank designations during WWII.

My father-in-law, who is 80 now, just resigned as the Chaplain of the same post (health reasons). He talked to Bryce and he said he came out as a Sgt - which was either a SP5 or E5 -- he couldn't remember how it was stated at that time. When I was "forceably enlisted" in 1970 they used SP and E ranks. Anyway, FIL said to use E-5, so that's what I did. Going out on the brown truck today to one of the organizers .... ceremony is on Aug 25 so I got time to do another one if it's a big deal. Don't think it will be.

HJ

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You should show some pics of your build, we would love to see that being made.
Clay,

It's actually pretty boring. Doing the computer layout (which isn't fun) and watching a router bit go round and round. Then a little paint, sanding, stain, and lacquer.

Or I could tell you that I drew the pattern (freehand of course), sharpened my 100 year old chisels, and used my wooden mallets with precision strikes.

Take your pick.

HJ

Reactions: Nickp and fire65

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Another great sign!

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
That's beautiful, John. And I'm sure Sgt. Hagen will treasure it. I know Ken would. (As would I )

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
well done John..

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
...good going, John...be proud...you've done a wonderful thing...

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
@OutoftheWoodwork Here's another area to consider, special awards and plaques.
I can't get the effect that a CNC machine can do, Tom. I mean: hey. I can make a design honoring, but the dimensional effects? I can't replicate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts