Router Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had ordered some new sandpaper to come in
and wanted to start organizing that a little better.
I follow Wood Working*for Mere Mortals on YouTube
(Steve Ramsey - Woodworking for Mere Mortals)*
https://www.youtube.com/user/stevinmarin**
and find him to be practical*and well planned at times.
This is a free*plan you download from his website.
I made a few modifications to his plan for my needs.
The whole project was made in less than 2 hours.
Furniture

Random orbital sander Machine Hardwood Wood Sander

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I bought a bunch a while back from a Canadian supplier who I can't remember the name of anymore. They sold paper for the old PC detail sander which was the only thing that sander was good for. Anyway they said to store the discs in zip lock bags and they would last longer that way.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Very cool idea Randy . I did something kind of similar when I made my drill/air nailer organizer , but after I dado’d out slots , I found they were not in the location I had first thought they should be .
So I came up with this idea air nailing in sections between the separators . This way I could pry them out and start over if I found the distancing between chambers wasn’t right .
Over kill in your case , as your spacing looks perfect

Attachments

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Well thanks a lot Rick ;-) - now I've got to build one of those!
Thanks for the inspiration yours turned out great.
Thank you .
It’s come in very handy , as I store my air nails and screw driver bits in there also .
Had fun building it also . Had no plans but an idea of what I’d like and just winged it .
Here’s a few more pics .
For dividers , I drew lines and Jig sawed out the excess , then used a router to make a clean line .
Then used it as a template to finish the rest .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I like that, Rick. But you have more talent than I have. Yours is safisticateded. I wanted drawers, but again, too complicated for my abilities. I went with simple when I was looking one up for Ken. (And I think he liked the idea of the tools hanging.)

·
Registered
21,688 Posts
I like that, Rick. But you have more talent than I have. Yours is safisticateded. I wanted drawers, but again, too complicated for my abilities. I went with simple when I was looking one up for Ken. (And I think he liked the idea of the tools hanging.)

Noticed the ceiling isn't insulated and enclosed. My shed has R38 plus liner of radiant barrier. It's been near 100f lately and the shop stays bearable because of it. Works for cold as well. The ceiling consists of 1x8 beams so I had 2 more inches of space and used insulating foam to enclose it. The foam is held in place with finish nails so I can change it if I want. Gives me about R46 total. Really makes all the difference in my shop and it was about a 2 day project. Stapled the radiant barrier in place, stapled the R38 paper backed glass in, then cut the foam to fit the unevenly spaced beams. The uneven beam spacing made covering with drywall unworkable.

I really like the hanging tool setup Barb. Mine just sit on a handy shelf next to the chargers.

RE: Wall covering If I had it to do over again, I'd cover the walls with half inch ply, then use some 1x 5/8ths strips on one wall and attach pegboard. The pegboard wall is great and allows me to hang all kinds of odd accessories, saws, clamps, tools, etc. so I don't forget I have them and wind up spending money on duplicates.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Noticed the ceiling isn't insulated and enclosed.
It's insulated, Tom; Ken put in the pink foam board. It just isn't covered yet, because we need another set of arms to hold up the plywood. I can't. We were both almost seriously injured when we tried to do it by ourselves.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Ken and I were putting up the 1/2" ply for the ceiling. I was holding the panel up, and he was screwing it into the rafters. (We were working with full sheets.) We couldn't get that plywood panel holder. Don't remember why.

I couldn't hold up the panel; it slipped, and Ken and I came real close to ending up in the emergency room when it toppled.

That was when we said we were done putting up the ceiling panels. Still waiting on extra help. While Shawn was here, we were able to put a couple pieces. He was able to help hold up the panel. Still didn't go all that well; the panels are a tad off. Technically needed a fourth person.

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
Ken and I were putting up the 1/2" ply for the ceiling. I was holding the panel up, and he was screwing it into the rafters. (We were working with full sheets.) We couldn't get that plywood panel holder. Don't remember why.

I couldn't hold up the panel; it slipped, and Ken and I came real close to ending up in the emergency room when it toppled.

That was when we said we were done putting up the ceiling panels. Still waiting on extra help. While Shawn was here, we were able to put a couple pieces. He was able to help hold up the panel. Still didn't go all that well; the panels are a tad off. Technically needed a third person.
I’m getting concerned as I’m doing this myself . Was going to buy a drywall lift though , and sell it after I was done

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I’m getting concerned as I’m doing this myself . Was going to buy a drywall lift though , and sell it after I was done
If we had the lift, we would be okay, I think. I wouldn't do it by yourself. Get someone to help you. I almost want to get a contractor out here, supply the plywood and pay them to do it

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Don't they have rental outfits where you guys live?
Herb
Couldn't get one. I don't remember why, whether it was because it cost too much, or one wasn't available; could be because the ones to rent were too big, and wouldn't fit in the workshop is what Ken is thinking. I don't know, Herb

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
Rick
17,578 Posts
If we had the lift, we would be okay, I think. I wouldn't do it by yourself. Get someone to help you. I almost want to get a contractor out here, supply the plywood and pay them to do it
I was going to get Herb to come up here and give me a hand , but this whole border closure thingy

·
Registered
753 Posts
I created something similar for both the ROS and sheet sandpaper. If you're in a humid climate, like FL, one of the reasons to keep sandpaper, particularly ROS, in a plastic bag is to prevent or reduce curling when the backing absorbs moisture. I've taken a slightly different approach. I usually buy the ROS in boxes of 50. I have room for about 10 (depending on the grit) in each slot. By keeping that number in each slot the paper stays reasonably flat.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.