Router Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to routing and would like to build a routing table in a few months time, once I've had the chance to pay around with my new router (Makita 3612C) in hand-held mode. That'll also give me time to figure out what I think I need in a table, research others' tables, and determine whether to construct a stand-alone router table, incorporate a hinged (or similar) RT into my workbench - or something in between.

Anyway, my sister-in-law lives in the US and has asked for an Xmas wishlist. I figured it was the ideal time to make a router-centric wish list. The problem is, I don't know what to put on the list. Rather than get bits and the like (the kind of things I can easily get here in NZ), I thought I might suggest some items that are less easily obtained here in NZ - things like a router base plate, T channels and accessories.

So - if anyone cares to suggest a few things that could go on a wishlist, it'd be much appreciated. I would like items of the wishlist to be used in the construction of a relatively simple yet high quality RT. I would imagine that a base plate will be one of the key components so a suggestion of a good one that works well with the 3612C would be great.

Let the list begin!

Matthew :no::no:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Hi Matthew:

You first have to decide what router philosophy you're going to use. Once that is decided, then your shopping list gets huge, fast.

I would suggest that you go to

The Woodworking Channel

and seek out the videos for "the router workshop" and start watching them like you're taking on a new religion, including the "hallelujahs" and "glory-bees."

That is one philosophy and the one I use. There are lots of others. With the supply problems you have you might consider Trend. They sell and will ship to NZ. If you're interested in US suppliers, examine their shipping practices carefully. Some will only ship to "continental US only." In the case of OakPark, they will ship to Canada and the "continental US" but your sister can get their stuff very easily and can ship to you.

I'm new to routing and would like to build a routing table ...
As for the router table, http://www.routerforums.com/table-mounted-routing/17212-wanted-pictures-your-table.html will have some pictures of other's creations. Adjust to fit your needs. However, note that these tables are only the first of five that are useful in table-mounted routing.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a good look through that thread last night, and even copied a few of the pics to a folder on my Mac called 'RT ideas'...I've made a start!

My sister-in-law lives in MN, and I'll be catching up with her in Scotland at Xmas - so she can bring stuff with her.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I know you said you can get bits locally but I imagine pulling them from somewhere like Super Carbide Tools items - Get great deals on Single bit, 2 pc Set items on eBay Stores! will be much cheaper than locally and possibly with a better selection. They also fit more readily into bags !

T-slot seems to be more readily available in some places than others, with best prices normally from the US. I liked Sante's ingenuity in discovering that certain types of curtain support make a suitable alternative.

Things like knobs and bolts for jig making JIG IT® Hardware Kit - Rockler Woodworking Tools are very useful. I find that the knobs made to take 3/8" hex bolts accomodate metric ones just as easily. I bought a selection of knobs and T-bolts and T-slot last year, as I cannot get them here and they have made jig making very simple.

Things like a RouterRaizer will be handy for your table, although you'll need to know what router you want to use it with, assuming you keep your Makita for hand held work. The big Triton is a good choice for a table, if they are available in NZ again, in which case, unless you get old stock, you won't need the RouterRaizer, as the new Tritons incorporate a lift facility.

Cheers

Peter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts