Router Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since space is at a premium in my 12x18 shed/shop, I have opted for a wall mounted 1hp Grizzly dust collector specifically for the table saw. I have a 1hp mobile one (it's the small one) that I can roll to the jointer, planer, and band saw. My issue is that my Shark Guard blade cover has a 2-1/2" port on it. If I run a shop vac to it I would be running two systems at one time. However, if I put a "Y" on the dust collector I would only be running one system which is my preference. Now, do I go with a "Y" with two 4" openings which would necessitate a 4" to 2-1/2" reducer to the blade guard (which I have) and run 4" hoses or do I get the "Y" that has a 4" and a 2-1/2" opening and run a 4" hose and a 2-1/2 hose. The hose runs will be no more that 6-8 feet.

The collector is rated at 537 CFM with a static pressure of 7.2 in.

Thanks for he assist.

·
Registered
21,857 Posts
This is the one I use. It's from Rockler. Their dustport line all fits together well. Other brands don't seem to manage to be interchangable. Stick with one brand. Even my offbrand hose fits the 2.5 inch port just fine. Do put a 2.5 inch blast gate in line so you aren't using both ports at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom. That's what I am leaning towards to. You're right about the blast gates. I plan to put it on the 2-1/2" side in case I'm doing non-thru cuts and not using the blade guard.

·
Registered
21,857 Posts
It just occurred to me that i probably ought to add a blast gate to the 4 inch input port so I get maximum air flow from the 2.5 inch line. I also have the Shark Guard. I have a tiny sawdust leak from the sides, but it is maybe 1 percent of what that saw used to spit out.

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Dust collectors work by floating debris in an airstream. Necking up reduces the amount of air and a pressure drop at the point where you increase size and may only compensate marginally with increased velocity. I would say stay with 2 1/2 or go to 4 but put a blast gate on the end of the Y and play with how much you open it to optimize the amount of air going to the DC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.