Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a habit of browsing thru various sites just waiting for a "DEAL" on something that I may be in need of or work like to have. I've been doing this for years and the habit has served me well. I've found many great deals, some I've acted on, others I've passed on thinking that there still room to play.
Well last night, in the Altoona's craigs list, came a 14" Grizzly GO555X band saw with riser and mobile base for 550 bucks. The saw was in like new condition (based on the description and pictures) came with a couple new blades and according to the seller, had only seen 1 board run thru it.
I'm in the market for a new band saw, preferring a 17", but dang, that 14 would have covered just about all the bases. And the price was outstanding, given that new that package would approach 1100 bucks. I thought I'd sit on it for a while, give it some reasonable thought and make a decision. I went back in early this morning, having decided I was going to go for it, and it was already gone. Somebody got one heck of a deal on a pretty darn good band saw and it wasn't me. :(
So as the title suggests, ya snooze ya loose. There will be other great deals, but I really missed out on this one.....

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
You need that 2 x 4 you see in the cartoons. The one that is hinged at one end, a boot on the other, and a rope in the middle you can tug on.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You need that 2 x 4 you see in the cartoons. The one that is hinged at one end, a boot on the other, and a rope in the middle you can tug on.

I am afraid that this time, a very LARGE boot would be in order:frown:

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Phil...

right now the 555 is on sale for 555, the 555X at 795...another 140 for riser and base. so call it 950, plus 2 new blades..easy another 50, so round it off to a grand.
Even without warranty coverage, around here, thats the best deal I've seen in quite a while. Round here, a good deal on a good saw doesn't come by often. Maybe not the deal of the century, but a good one in my opinion.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hey buddy, they come and they go... Wait around, it's like shopping at Sears, there's always going to be a sale if you wait. I expect soon you'll be telling us how you waited and got that 17" band saw you were looking for, for less than the 14"! That stuff happens all the time. AND, don't be afraid to dicker, worst that can happen is the seller says they won't move on the price. Many times I've offered less, been told NO, and politely walk away, (always be polite), they'll stop me and we can continue to haggle down to a better price. I love it!

Reactions: TwoSkies57

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're absolutely right Jack,,,, its all about patience. As the saying goes, everything happens for a reason. When it comes to dickering, not much good at it. Especially when it comes to selling. Regardless, being polite is always a must. Even if the other party isn't. I'll be keeping an eye out for that 17 :)

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
Bill, did you want me to send you one of my 14 EEEE's? :jester:

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
I have an 18 and an 8" jointer. I've never regretted even once spending the extra money to go a little bigger on either one of them.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an 18 and an 8" jointer. I've never regretted even once spending the extra money to go a little bigger on either one of them.
thats how I go about it Charles...I like to get bigger than I'll probably ever need. That way I don't work it to death. Don't really know how practical that has been in application, but it has served me well enough over the years. An 8" joiner will come after a new tablesaw. My 6" craftsman always seems to come up just a little short.

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts
Bad luck, Bill. And a trip to Altoona thrown in for free.........

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bad luck, Bill. And a trip to Altoona thrown in for free.........

Hey James. ya got back into the house :)

yeah.. actually just a bit north and east of Altoona, but the Curve woulda been along the way :) Maybe would have taken in a ball game at the Altoona Curve's stadium.

·
Official Greeter
18,753 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
thats how I go about it Charles...I like to get bigger than I'll probably ever need. That way I don't work it to death. Don't really know how practical that has been in application, but it has served me well enough over the years. An 8" joiner will come after a new tablesaw. My 6" craftsman always seems to come up just a little short.

I've got the 17" Grizzly, never needed the full 12" of cutting height that the saw provided but, as they say down here in Texas, "I'm sure proud to have it".

Of course 17" is in reference only to the diameter of wheels only.

Jerry

·
Registered
499 Posts
I thought the inch measurement on a band saw meant that was the width of wood that it could cut down the middle of, like a 10" drill press being able to drill a hole in the center of a 10" board, a 17" band saw could saw to the center of 17" of wood width???

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
10'' DP = center of 20'' board....
17'' BS = wheel diameter...

specs for my 18'' BS... MBAND185600

Motor: 6 hp Baldor
Volts: 220
Amp Breaker: 35
Min. Blade: 3/4"
Max. Blade: 2 "
Throat: 17"
Table Size: 19" x 25 "
Blade Length: 161"
Table Height: 33-1/2"
Rack/Pinion: yes
Foot Brake: yes
Guides: Laguna Guides
Weight: 561 lbs.

and for the 16''... MBAND165600

Motor: 4.5 hp Baldor
Volts: 220
Amp Breaker: 40
Min. Blade: 1/16"
Max. Blade: 1-3/8"
Throat: 15 1/2"
Table Size: 16-1/2" x 22-3/4"
Blade Length: 150"
Table Height: 33-1/2"
Rack/Pinion: yes
Foot Brake: yes
Guides: Laguna Guides
Base Size: 15" x 27"
Height: 76-1/2"
Weight: 465 lbs.

the 14'' Delta..

Motor: 1 HP, 115/230V, 1 Phase
Speeds: 1,620 FPM and 3,340 FPM
Blade: 93 1/2 in. – 1/8 in. min. width to 3/4 in. max width
Table: 15 3/4 in. x 18 7/8 in., over sized, cast iron
Table Height: 40 3/4 in.
Cutting Capacity: 13 5/8 in. wide x 6 in. thick
Base Dimensions: 23 in. long x 16 wide
Dimensions on Stand: 27 in. x 19 in. x 65 1/2 in.
Shipping Dimensions: 44.69 in. x 17.72 in. x 21.46 in.
Weight: 164.9 lbs.
Shipping Weight: 180.4 lbs.

·
Premium Member
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Stick... the Laguna's, bearing guides or ceramic? They the Italian made models?

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Stick... the Laguna's, bearing guides or ceramic? They the Italian made models?
the 16 are Laguna stock and the 18 has Carters... both saws are Italian...

Reactions: TwoSkies57
1 - 20 of 26 Posts