Router Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have another question regarding The Yankee Screwdriver. I have a No. 31 that someone has jam the handle past the snap ring on the handle tube about 1". I have tried to pull the handle off but does not want to move. I do not want to damage the rest of the screwdriver trying. Push come to shove I will cut handle off and made a new one. Any ideas how I might get it off without cutting? Would anyone know what kind of wood the handles were made of? Could it be beech or apple? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wayne

Attachments

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Not sure if it's rusted shut or not but I would try some solution to free the metal parts but keep the wood handle out of it if possible. When I was refinishing my #7 hand plane I used Evapo-Rust in a PVC tube to cut down on the amount needed. I cut the length a bit longer than needed, glued a PVC cap on one end and had a second cap to close the tube while the tool and solution was stood up in a bucket (in case it leaked, it didn't). Just maybe it will free up the mechanism and if not at least the rust will be gone. Worth a try......

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanical parts all work just need cleaning and fresh lub. It is the handle that I can not get off. There lager pieces missing from the other side of the handle. Evapo-rust works great. I use it to clean my flea market planes.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There is a spring inside the handle, and there should be a screw on the end. Be careful, make sure to extend the driver before you try to remove the screw. In the closed position (that you photo shows) the spring is loaded and it will bite you. Don't ask, just trust me:surprise: I don't know if removing the screw and spring will help with removing the handle, but since the handle is hollow it might give you a better view of what is causing the problem.

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
8,956 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
8,956 Posts
Hello,

I have another question regarding The Yankee Screwdriver. I have a No. 31 that someone has jam the handle past the snap ring on the handle tube about 1". I have tried to pull the handle off but does not want to move. I do not want to damage the rest of the screwdriver trying. Push come to shove I will cut handle off and made a new one. Any ideas how I might get it off without cutting? Would anyone know what kind of wood the handles were made of? Could it be beech or apple? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Wayne
Maybe this will help.
https://www.instructables.com/id/Yankee-Screwdriver-Maintenance/

Herb

·
Official Greeter
19,128 Posts
Did not realise you could still buy one...

Very handy tool...

Will have to look in Bunnings...

Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
Theo
7,182 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi again,
Still working to get that handle off. The No.30, 31, and 35 had no screw in the bottom of the handle. No's 30A, and 31A had the screw in the bottom but no spring. No's 130A, 131A, and 135A were spring loaded. This from from a Stanley Tools Repair Parts catalog No.35P. Thank you all for your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts