Router Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The railings still need to be done, and we've run into a bit of a snag on that part, but.... the deck planking is done done D O N E! Yes, I'm very proud, and thankful to Mike and Brian who came out and tackled the railing portion of the deck. The posts were supposed to be mounted from the side, but I guess that's out of the question. (I don't have the energy to explain-just know that it won't work... it would for other people, but not us... Barbie n' Ken won't have the railing she wanted. The end. lol)

The first picture is Ken putting in the center beam/right side of the frame on the large portion. In the second picture, the lower right corner is where the patio will be next year. For now, we're leaving it the stones. The third picture, is of course, Ken sitting and enjoying his deck after all the hard work he put into it, and the final picture is the view out the back door, now that the planking is complete. The left side hasn't been sanded yet, and still shows how new it is. Hoping to get the sanding done this weekend. All in all, I'm happy with it. There's boo boo's in it, but... I like it, plus, this was our first time doing a fish bone design.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
John
6,838 Posts
Nice job, now that the works done when is The barbecue :)

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
That's beautiful, Barb.

Reactions: OutoftheWoodwork

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I knew from the topic title that you had finished it. Well done the two of you. It looks great. Plenty of room for all the router forum guys when you have that bbq.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm puzzled; why won't face mounting the railing posts work? Doesn't look like there's any serious obstacles, from the photos.
The main reason is because Ken says I'm mixing two different types of railings; I want the grooved rails with spindles, but when you put up the posts, it doesn't hang right. It ends up being over the edge of the deck, rather than hovering over the planking. The other reason is that we can't access under the deck to put nuts on the ends of the bolts. Not sure what we're gonna do now.:frown:

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow Barb,

That was a big project, but it looks very nice. As a bonus, you have less grass to mow now, so more time to enjoy the deck.

Are you going to stain it?

Charley
Actually, Charley, the amount of grass to mow hasn't changed. We cut one side down six feet, making it 10x14, and left the other side at 10x20. (The original deck was 20x20) I wanted to put the fire pit on top of the one side (that we shortened) but my neighbor strongly opposed it, saying that we'll get more smoke than anything, that they had tried it. So we decided to shorten the one side, put in a patio, and have the fire pit on the patio, instead. The patio will be built next year. To get proper spacing for the pit, the patio will be a bit larger than the portion we cut away, but I think it will look great.

The other portion that isn't done yet is the screened in room. It's going where the dining set sits. It will be 10x10. Found a prefab one, but was leery because there wasn't any replacement parts (mainly the canvas top) yet. Figured I will either make the screened gazebo, or find one next year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts