Router Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had an order for 3 nickel banks, so once I had everything all set up I just cut out the parts for 6 of them. Each one conveniently was made out of a Baltic birch glued up 1 x 12 x 48 board that I had bought a couple hundred of when Menards had a close out sale. Not as fancy as David's videos but you can get the general idea. These are a bit time consuming putting together and finishing so it worked better to do them all at once.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm, we can tell John doesn't put his tools back. @honesttjohn have you found the hammer, hack saw and what
possibly a 18mm wrench? Or are you imperial?

Very cool for the banks. Is it possible to change the date?
They would be good for newborns.
Ronnie,

That corner of the basement was my son's "workspace" when he was still at home. But, no, a lot of my tools don't get picked up and put away as they should. Especially the most often used ones. Wonder why I keep running out of bench space?

I took the buffalo off and replaced it with the Polish Eagle on a couple just for kicks and giggles for the Polish Festival last year so I don't see why the dates couldn't be changed. I haven't checked but I would think it would depend on how the file was made, since this was a Michael Tyler design, and he recreated the first one that came out.

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Hmm, we can tell John doesn't put his tools back. @honesttjohn
Very cool for the banks. Is it possible to change the date?
They would be good for newborns.
That’s a really good idea ,and if made to order, I could see that being a great selling point by having the child’s birth year on there ;)

I wonder if they have any high res vectors in Canadian coins? Probably not :(

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be a good one!!!! Little more modern.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0

·
Registered
460 Posts
Ronnie,
.... I haven't checked but I would think it would depend on how the file was made, since this was a Michael Tyler design, and he recreated the first one that came out.
Changes? I wouldnt worry about it, I mean you're only making a few of them
what could he get from you, a few 'nickels' ?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
As a gift created to commemorate the birth of a grandchild, the only thing that may make it not perfectly timeless will be when coins and paper bills are no longer a valid form of money. Sure to happen within their lifetime. ;)

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Aspire users can go into the modeling tab and turn off any or all of the lettering so they could add baby's name and statistics to the coin face. Same thing for a wedding gift. Then rerun toolpaths.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're the Aspire go to guy, Mike. I didn't know how Mr Tyler did it. You know me, not sure about all this, so I don't tinker with things that already work!!

·
Premium Member
Rick
17,544 Posts
Well could a guy buy a scanner so a person could scan there own coins and get a simular outcome?
I wonder how well they would work with something as small as a Coin resolution wise?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Rick,

You would still have to go thru the motions making a 3d file to cut. That takes a little doing.

I did hear he was working on a matching Lincoln penny one.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Well could a guy buy a scanner so a person could scan there own coins and get a simular outcome?
I wonder how well they would work with something as small as a Coin resolution wise?
Rick, check out wikipedia and search for a coin.
For this one is Indiana (US) and pretty damn big.
And probably needs a lil photoshop tweaking
and smoothing.

I did watch the Trout video earlier w/ Aspire. Seems doable
but you'd still need to make vectors from it I guess.
http://support.vectric.com/tutorials/V8/Trout/Trout_3DMOD.html

Hmmf.... seems Canadian coins are smaller thru wiki, sorry.

Again, I dont know if this would work.

As for the 3D part, im at a loss. I have to get to that once
my machine arrives in June/July.

Is that Bill Clinton in the back?

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Just a quick texture creation in Aspire but not too bad. This is not how I would actually do it but this would work for somethings.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike
3,836 Posts
Rick it would take a 3d scanner to produce a model for 3d carving. The good ones are still a little pricey right now but there are a few people working on perfecting 3d scanners using a cell phone. I've been looking at this for awhile and may try to find the time to play with the process.

Reactions: RainMan 2.0
1 - 20 of 28 Posts