Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If other, specify.

I have a custom PC, I purchased the parts at a local computer parts supplier ( Computer Boulevard - CBiT ). Also, some of the parts were purchased through Kevin ( Routerforums.com Administrator ). Once I had all the parts, I sent them over to kevin and he put them together for me.

Just yesterday I got a new Samsung SyncMaster 170MP 17'' Flat Screen LCD Monitor / Television. The monitor doubles as a television, you can either use the remote or the buttons on the front to switch between, TV and Monitor.

Computer Specs

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz
Maxxor 60 GB HD ( F: )
Maxxor 120 GB HD ( C: )
2 x 512 MB RAM ( 1024 MB RAM / 1.024 GB RAM )
ATI Radeon A9600XT

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know the specs on your Compaq(s)?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I always build my own. I got into this at work and never looked back. We made a cheap generic looking computer into a hidden "super system" for demonstrations and trade show, this was not my main job but fun to do.

I have six systems doing various tasks and I have a new system I'm working on for doing video. Since I don't want to get in to a long list I will just give the "general PC" that I'm sitting at and the one I'm building.

Asus MB, 512MB, XP2200, ATI 9600, firewire card, video capture card, modem card, USB2 card, Soundblaster live card, 100Mb ethernet card, two 9GB 10K SCSI (160's), 40 GB IDE, 40 GB detached firewire drive, Jazz disk, floppy, Panasonic DRV106 DVD R/W.

Building: Asus MB (built in sound, lans, firewire, USB2) 1GB(2x512), XP3200, ATI 9800 pro, 200GB ATA, Panasonic DRV108 DVD R/W, floppy, so far......

I know I'm not up to date on the new system but that is the best I could do for the $$$

Ed

·
Server Administrator
166 Posts
I have 4 computers. 2 desktops and 2 laptops. The first desktop is mainly a work computer for doing 3d modeling (solid works) it has a P4 3.06 , 1 Gig Ram Pc4200 Duel Channel, Maxtor 120 Gb Hd 7200 Rpm 8 mb buffer, Asus motherboard(p4p800), and a thousand dollar video card not sold in retail stores specially made for 3d modeling. The second computer I use as a server at home, it's old but still runs like a top so I can't bring myself to dismantle it, the only special thing with this one is I spent aprox 600 bucks on the case alone. First laptop, slow little guy but still has his purpose. I use it for transferring my cnc programs from home to work. I draw and design the part on my modeling computer then dump them on my slow laptop and take that to the CNC mill or CNC lathe. Cad/CAM's RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And finally the best for last. The newest member of the family. I bought a new laptop, it's a p4 3.06 GHz, with only 512mb Pc2100 (haven't upgraded yet), 60 Gig HD and wireless g network card. As you can see this is more my area (computers). But I still love woodworking.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Kevin said:
I have 4 computers. 2 desktops and 2 laptops. The first desktop is mainly a work computer for doing 3d modeling (solid works) it has a P4 3.06 , 1 Gig Ram Pc4200 Duel Channel, Maxtor 120 Gb Hd 7200 Rpm 8 mb buffer, Asus motherboard(p4p800), and a thousand dollar video card not sold in retail stores specially made for 3d modeling. The second computer I use as a server at home, it's old but still runs like a top so I can't bring myself to dismantle it, the only special thing with this one is I spent aprox 600 bucks on the case alone. First laptop, slow little guy but still has his purpose. I use it for transferring my cnc programs from home to work. I draw and design the part on my modeling computer then dump them on my slow laptop and take that to the CNC mill or CNC lathe. Cad/CAM's RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And finally the best for last. The newest member of the family. I bought a new laptop, it's a p4 3.06 GHz, with only 512mb Pc2100 (haven't upgraded yet), 60 Gig HD and wireless g network card. As you can see this is more my area (computers). But I still love woodworking.
What 3d modeling software do you use? How about the video card something like the fire gl stuff? I took some classes in PRO E but never got to use it myself........ It sure looked like a fun design tool and being able to do things in 3d was a big step from the old cad software.......

Ed

·
Registered
166 Posts
My main computer is one that I built... P/S 350 Watts, Mobo is P4PE. P4 3.66 CPU, 1536 mb mem.. DVD CD..RW CD...9700 video card and LS Sound system. Used for flight simulators. CFS-3
LCD 19 inch monitor.
Dell 4300 back up

·
Registered
11,921 Posts
I finally had to replace the Timex Sinclair, so I moved up to a VIC 20 with external floppy drive, external modem... Ok, that was a while ago. I do still have a working Atari 400 with all the junk you could daisy chain to it. Why is it you could connect faster to a BBS than you can to AOL? I hate spending money on my puter, so when it breaks I fix it, sell it and build a new one. I am running an AMD 1.2G with only 256M-DDR and a 40G 7200 RPM drive. Oh yeah, there is also a 24X burner. One of these days I need to get around to building a new one...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The planned obsolessence thing kills me but it hurts even worse to get too far behind.
When I replace (about every 2-3 years), I donate the old ones to the local community college.
Dells both at work and at home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I build my own PC’s. I currently have 3.

My main PC is

Abit AN7 Motherboard, AMD 3400+, 1Gig of RAM, Geforce 6600GT Video Card,
Maxtor 300Gig SATA HD & 160Gig Western Digital. DVD-RW, CD-RW & 450watt power supply.

The other PC is my 4 year old’s and the other is a file server loaded with another 500gigs of hard drive space.

All networked, including a Tivo.

·
Community Founder
6,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, that sounds like a nice piece of equipment, MrZ. Also, good choice on the CPU, AMD is definatly the best route.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Right now I have the oldest PC in the house. Except for my wife's laptop, I've built them all. We have 5 running (my kids think that's normal). Mine is a Pentium 3 1GHz with 512MB memory, 160GB hard drive and Plextor CDRW. I run Ubuntu Linux instead of Windows although I do have a DataPort drive cage installed so I can remove the drive with linux on it and insert the drive with WindowsXP if I need to use XP for something. That happens maybe once a month. I just have far fewer security issues, viruses, and junk with a linux operating system and I can do basically all the things I normally did under a Windows operating system. The only 2 exceptions... programs for which their is no linux equivalent... is when programming my universal remote for my A/V system or when running the the program that collects data from the smart card in a piece of medical equipment I use every night.

AND... so far it's all free software. Operating system is free, my Office application is free (OpenOffice.. does everything Microsoft Office does), my graphics program (The Gimp instead of Photoshop), I just instaqlled QCad (a free CAD program for linux). Much easier on the wallet.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i have a compaq mv540 with a hewlett packard scanjet 3300c scanner that i got used just to kinda learn on and then i found you guys so i got a good deal all the way around

·
Registered
60 Posts
At home I build my own so I have what I want. At school I have 33 Dells and one overworked Education Computer Strategist (Computer Maintainer) who takes care of over 300 Dells.

·
Registered
23,786 Posts
Just for kicks :)

I have about 35 at home, all makes and types, I have 10 on the home network 3 or 4 up and running on the network most of the time. :)

I do love computers and have for a long time.
I hang out most of the time at
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000
and use the name of DEX on this forum.

Bj :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have a Dell desktop and a Dell company laptop. I use Dell because I get a discount on Dell through my company.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.