31,264 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

·
Registered
Oliver (Prof. Henry)
2,194 Posts
So far it's been this one. Difficult because all I had to start with was an animated gif from Stick. He sits on that mountain and thinks of the strangest things. :yes4:

·
Registered
675 Posts
This one was my "most demanding" because of the following reasons......some related to skills (or lack thereof) and some related to the ultimate customer:

1) At this stage of my progression, I had never attempted anything this detailed with the tools I had at the time. Looking back on this, I think I was actually crazy to attempt it. It was done free handed.

2) I had a short time frame to complete this in.....only a week to draw, layout, carve, paint and complete.

3) This was done without prior approval of the motorcycle gang's leadership. My nephew is now a member at large of the club but was a "prospect" at the time. I was not sure he had permission to have me create it.

4) IT WAS FOR A MOTORCYCLE GANG!!! I had just finished watching the series "Sons Of Anarchy!!" My mind was running wild with all kinds of imagination!! :lol: I had NO IDEA how they would react to my encroaching upon their beloved logo!!! LOL

But that was last year, I'm still here, and have lost my fear.........but I keep watching my rear!! LOL

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
And then you build them Oliver. HMMMM.

Reactions: Gaffboat

·
Super Moderator
David
3,572 Posts
Probably what I'm working on now - gearing up and building acoustic guitars. Every step along the way requires another fixture, jig, or tool that is necessary to ensure some degree of consistency and repeatability in subsequent builds. But it's a blast!! :grin:

·
Administrator
2,131 Posts
Probably what I'm working on now - gearing up and building acoustic guitars. Every step along the way requires another fixture, jig, or tool that is necessary to ensure some degree of consistency and repeatability in subsequent builds. But it's a blast!! :grin:
I look forward to seeing pictures! :smile:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It would be this from 1989.
The pic of the largest is attached with a close up detail shot.

The diameter of the semi-circle is 10 feet.
Three smaller windows were part of the package deal. All had the same borders.
Intense.
Yes, these are not wood. And there is no room for error. There is no "wood filler" equivalent for glass.
All hand cut. Sandblasted etched glass.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,238 Posts
At this point, a series of jigs for frame making and one for cutting small parts using a Japanese saw. The small parts jig requires a level of precision that is pressing my skills, the frame making and spline jigs must be an exact 90, which I've found is easier to describe than build. There have been a few projects where I used the wrong material or made such a fundamental mistake that I had to toss the project, so I think the answer to this depends a little on the amount of time you've been doing woodworking. I'm not going to do much furniture building, but when I do, I suspect that project will belong on this list.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mine was the bench I made for the kitchen eating area. The wife found unfinished chairs that she liked. The hard part for me was routing the pattern for the back of the bench and corner piece to match the attached chair that became the left side of the bench.

Attachments

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Mine was the bench I made for the kitchen eating area. The wife found unfinished chairs that she liked. The hard part for me was routing the pattern for the back of the bench and corner piece to match the attached chair that became the left side of the bench.
ahhh those are nice...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts