Router Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There had been a lot of discussion in our workplace about Shadow IT. Do you have any experience about it?

We cam across this since we are frequently having cloud security issues and this has turned out to be a suggestion since according to the research, IT issues on security and manageability can be improved with it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Kerena, are you asking this because you think this forum is for wifi routers or as a general question on this 'woodworking router' forum?

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
We have quite a few people versed in IT (not me however) so there is a good chance someone may have an answer. If I had a problem I'd probably ask Angie.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Even I wouldn't ask me :D

A deployment within an IT environment, by a department other than the definitive IT department, would be a cause for concern, unless they were versed in the full IT security package within the original IT environment, and those said security packages were integrated. If the exisiting packages were ignored, then there is obviously a hole within security that has not been contained.

If the shadow IT is completely seperate to that of the original IT infrastructure, there would not be a problem, unless it made use of any security portion of the original IT.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

A deployment within an IT environment, by a department other than the definitive IT department, would be a cause for concern, unless they were versed in the full IT security package within the original IT environment, and those said security packages were integrated. If the exisiting packages were ignored, then there is obviously a hole within security that has not been contained.

If the shadow IT is completely seperate to that of the original IT infrastructure, there would not be a problem, unless it made use of any security portion of the original IT.
Exactly what I was thinking. Just couldn't put it in those words.

HJ

yeah, right

·
Registered
31,264 Posts

exactly...

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Shadow IT is typically considered a bad thing for IT departments. They are apps typically generated outside the usual IT controls.

I'm not sure how an IT organization that would typically have problems with "shadow IT" within its organization could ever see it as a positive thing in the Cloud. Considering that Cloud offers its own unique security issues, a completely uncontrolled variety of data and apps in the Cloud would make the organization vulnerable on top of all the evils of applications and data flows not sanctioned by the IT dept or in violation of good industry practices (let alone best practices).

Not sure why you might be thinking shadow IT might be a way of solving inherent Cloud issues...

If your issue is protecting your data in a Cloud environment, it's too late...you have no way of knowing where your bits and bytes are scattered. Data deletions aren't really, data import/export issues (if they apply to you), copyright infringement, HIPPA, and on and on... Assuming you've placed your apps in the Cloud AND you've taken all the typical precautions, a shadow app would certainly never be under the same scrutiny...especially if your shadow "creators" use publicly available Cloud providers to host the app and data.

Best approach is to put your arms around the shadow components and obtain the resources necessary to eliminate the shadow apps and rebuild in your "more protected" Cloud.

If you've created a hosted environment with a single service provider in a dedicated space in a specific data center location on specific servers and storage then you might have a chance of protecting your data...but don't let the shadow IT out of your sight...

...who knows what evil lurks in the minds of men...only the SHADOW knows...

...stay away from it...

Now...have you got a question about woodworking...? :)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
Reactions: Herb Stoops

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Looks like we're not using the same terminology...

Netskope is not shadow IT as the term is generally used.

Netskope is a fairly new product...evaluate similar products before choosing...

Good luck...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts