Router Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This box was inspired by a design I stumbled onto @ a site you would never expect to find such an example. (first photo) I didn't look for a copyright, so I might be in trouble!
The Zebrawood was given to me and I made several other similar designed boxes from different species of wood scraps, for practise. Here is my version as it turned out.
I have made a jig to fit my Veritas RT top, to do the 3.8" box joints. I am really happy with the tight fitting joints this jig provides. ( jig is made from hardwood flooring scraps) The contrasting wood, I think, is some Malaysian Mahogany. I was hoping it might turn out darker, but you take what you can find when the budget requires free stuff. I did make 3 different handles for the lid before I found the one I liked best. The only caution I have for others; is to do all your fine sanding to completion before you glue the legs and handle onto this box, and be very careful not to use excess glue (5 min. epoxy) so there will be NO squeeze out, doing legs and handle. Regular wood glue was used for box joints, with water clean-up and final sanding after. Clean-up is nearly impossible with so many contours. Any squeeze out will mess up your finishing if you don't get it cleaned up completely. I use Teak Oil on nearly everything I build. I used it here too. The final finish coats will be clear Varathane, semigloss, over the Teak Oil when it is completely dry and sanded again to remove any nibbs. I love doing all sorts of different small boxes. Hope you enjoy this contribution. More photos to follow.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
16,385 Posts
Nice job and well presented too Reg. I like that teak oil too and it's pretty much foolproof to use. I took some of the thin cedar T&G that comes in 14 sq. ft. packages at the building supply stores to finish from the top of a tub surround to the ceiling in my downstairs bathroom and I used the that teak oil to finish it and it works beautifully on it. Water and soap droplets just wipe right off with no effect on it. I think it must have some varnish in it as I also have the other oil they make and I've used it on cedar too and it has no shine to it like the teak oil does.

Reactions: bcfunburst

·
Registered
31,264 Posts
that is 1st rate and then some..

·
Premium Member
Retired since June 2000
15,065 Posts
An excellent result and a first class photo-shoot. As a matter of interest you can post 20 photographs in one post, after the first 10, go through the same proceedure with the next 10.

·
Registered
Mike
3,941 Posts
Reg good looking box and nice photo documentation of your process.

·
Official Greeter
19,758 Posts
that is a great box....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.