Harbor Freight 10 piece template guide set - Router Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 253
 
Default Harbor Freight 10 piece template guide set

I purchased this item at my local HF store for ~$20.00 (comparable sets cost $40 at Rockler(on sale at $30) and $44 at Woodcraft). The construction is solid brass and the set comes packed in a plastic case. The hinge on the case is somewhat flimsy and I wouldn't expect it to last. It contains an adapter, 7 template guides and 2 knurled lock nuts. After purchasing I tried the lock nuts on all the template guides and all fit smoothly, with the exception of some minor roughness on the smallest template guide. I think it will probably work itself smooth through use.

A visual inspection revealed no discernable lack of concentricity between the bores of the guides and the threaded diameters, however I have no way to check this any closer than by visual inspection. The ID and OD of the guide are stamped on each one, but the stamping is superficial and a little bit hard to read if not in good light.

My initial impression is that this set represents good value for the money and my initial rating is 9 on a 10 point scale. A better quality case would move the rating up as would a better fit on the one guide that was a little rough and deeper engraving of the size. Here is a link to the set on the HF website:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

rstermer

Last edited by rstermer; 06-28-2009 at 05:56 PM.
rstermer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi rstermer

Put the plastic shipping box in the trash can and make a box with a lid to keep them nice and safe in

=======

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstermer View Post
I purchased this item at my local HF store for ~$20.00 (comparable sets cost $40 at Rockler(on sale at $30) and $44 at Woodcraft). The construction is solid brass and the set comes packed in a plastic case. The hinge on the case is somewhat flimsy and I wouldn't expect it to last. It contains an adapter, 7 template guides and 2 knurled lock nuts. After purchasing I tried the lock nuts on all the template guides and all fit smoothly, with the exception of some minor roughness on the smallest template guide. I think it will probably work itself smooth through use.

A visual inspection revealed no discernable lack of concentricity between the bores of the guides and the threaded diameters, however I have no way to check this any closer than by visual inspection. The ID and OD of the guide are stamped on each one, but the stamping is superficial and a little bit hard to read if not in good light.

My initial impression is that this set represents good value for the money and my initial rating is 9 on a 10 point scale. A better quality case would move the rating up as would a better fit on the one guide that was a little rough and deeper engraving of the size. Here is a link to the set on the HF website:

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

rstermer


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	555.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	25154  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Bob
Posts: 253
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobj3 View Post
Hi rstermer

Put the plastic shipping box in the trash can and make a box with a lid to keep them nice and safe in

=======
Hi Bob- You've got a ton of 'em. What are those rings that look like they are made out of mdf and are sitting outside the box?
rstermer
rstermer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi rstermer

Some are offset rings and some are made so I can use the brass guides in my steel router mounting base plate on one of my router tables..

=========

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstermer View Post
Hi Bob- You've got a ton of 'em. What are those rings that look like they are made out of mdf and are sitting outside the box?
rstermer


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	router6.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	25155  


"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 07:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: United States
First Name: Mike
Posts: 122
 
Default

i bought a porter cable steel guide set before i knew any better then realized it didnt have a 1" guide so i bought a HF set, not the one you got though, i got the one without a case for like $12. probably the same guides im sure but anyways they seem to work great and have the 1" guide i was looking for
Mike Gager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Workout the offset for a template guide opelblues Guide Bushings and Templates 5 04-29-2009 12:44 PM
Harbor Freight 10 Piece Router Template Guide Set rstermer Guide Bushings and Templates 4 06-04-2008 06:56 PM
Template Guide sizes TWheels Guide Bushings and Templates 11 06-04-2008 06:35 PM
Make a template to create a filler piece? Ric Naff Jigs and Fixtures 3 01-12-2006 08:56 PM
Template Guide depth ttait General Routing 3 10-03-2004 06:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome