Bosch Colt Palm Router-inspection
I am a hydraulics machinist, and have extensive inspection tools, put them to use on this newly purchased Bosch Colt variable speed router.
First off, I have read many reviews on this tool, looking closest at the bad ones.
Some complaints I came across,
Faulty lock button.
Bad run-out at collet.
Base out of square.
Lock Button, well, they included a 10mm wrench for the spindle as well as a 17mm for the collet nut, I would rather use the wrenches. The button seems fine.
The collet, major problem there.
Some how, the collet was very tight, with no tool in it. The collet was sprung, making it hard to get a tool in it. It is so bad, the collet with nut had to be removed to push a tool into it.
I use a precision ground 1/4" drill blank 4" long for the test.
The test piece ran out at .012", probably more then 1/4" 3" out toward the end.
I went back where I bought it, the salesman handed me the collet out of the display router.
This collet was much better, showing near zero runout near the nut and only .002"- 3" out from the nut.
I am fine with that.
For the base being square to a cutter test,
I tapped on the test rods end lightly with a piece of wood, until it ran true, as the rod ran true at the nut.
Then using a small Master square, checked the base to the test rod, from the four corners of the base, nearly perfect alignment.
I am just guessing that when the router was test ran, the collet may have been very loose on the spindle, then suddenly run up tight and sprung it. Perhaps just a one in ten thousand.
Something to look for when first opening the box.
With a dial indicator on the test rod, I found the collet needs to be pretty tight to run true- about as tight as the two wrenches provided can within reason get it, of course it could be over done by a weight lifter.
The manual, I think is good, explains the how to make it work clearly enough.
I had a slight problem removing the motor from the base and replacing it, using the little arrows.
Soon found, looking in the base- and aligning the pin with the ramp on the motor, made that more easy and quick for me.
Testing on various woods, this little router does a good job- me happy.
Last edited by Sawdust Don; 12-20-2012 at 02:35 AM.