Cutting board problems, for change - Router Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Barry
Posts: 533
 
Default Cutting board problems, for change

I haven't been in the shop for over a month due to a basement clean up task that helped to aggravate a partial tear in my rotator cuff. Got a shot of cortisone yesterday so I'm anticipating an improvement. Hoping to get back into the shop, today I checked 5 completed cutting boards that have been on the shelf for over a month. All of them have been mineral oiled and then a final coat of mineral oil and bees wax. Four of them are end grain and one is edge grain. One of the end grain and the edge grain are fine. However, the other three end grain boards have moved. One has a slight twist and the other two have, what can best be described, as a slight cup. One of them I can make swivel like a lazy susan!!

So, my problem. How to fix them. Some of you may call me crazy, and you probably would be right, but I flattened the end grain boards using my thickness planner. I added sacrificial strips to all edges to level the board and to eliminate tear out and took off about 1/64" or less on each pass. Never had a problem. Anyway, i probably wouldn't have to take much off to re-flatten them but can I do that with the planner since the wood is now oiled. I can remove what little wax is on there with a card scraper. Sanding is out of the question and I don't have router skis.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated since I really don't want to mess up the boards although I do have one which I don't love that will be my test board.
Barry747 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 15,108
 
Default

You could plane them again but I would clean the knives right away. A router sled doesn't take long to throw together either.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:15 AM
Registered User
 
Bushwhacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
First Name: David
Posts: 692
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry747 View Post
I haven't been in the shop for over a month due to a basement clean up task that helped to aggravate a partial tear in my rotator cuff. Got a shot of cortisone yesterday so I'm anticipating an improvement. Hoping to get back into the shop, today I checked 5 completed cutting boards that have been on the shelf for over a month. All of them have been mineral oiled and then a final coat of mineral oil and bees wax. Four of them are end grain and one is edge grain. One of the end grain and the edge grain are fine. However, the other three end grain boards have moved. One has a slight twist and the other two have, what can best be described, as a slight cup. One of them I can make swivel like a lazy susan!!

So, my problem. How to fix them. Some of you may call me crazy, and you probably would be right, but I flattened the end grain boards using my thickness planner. I added sacrificial strips to all edges to level the board and to eliminate tear out and took off about 1/64" or less on each pass. Never had a problem. Anyway, i probably wouldn't have to take much off to re-flatten them but can I do that with the planner since the wood is now oiled. I can remove what little wax is on there with a card scraper. Sanding is out of the question and I don't have router skis.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated since I really don't want to mess up the boards although I do have one which I don't love that will be my test board.
Sounds to me like you have it covered.
rrrun likes this.

When the enemy is in range, so are you.
Bushwhacker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Registered User
 
rwl7532's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Ralph
Posts: 1,288
 
Default

Card scraper as stated and rub the surface with acetone with a few different shop rags or paper towels.

  • Accident free since 10/27/12 at 3:58 pm.
  • Cursing free since 10/27/12 at 3:59 pm.
  • ...it happened in Everett, WA USA
rwl7532 is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
First Name: Bill
Posts: 753
 
Default

That is not a terribly uncommon occurrence. I just flip it over and it will straighten out.
billyjim is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Barry
Posts: 533
 
Default

Bill, Thanks for the suggestion. Sometime the simplest answer is overlooked. i flipped the boards over with the most distorted on the bottom of the stack, cup side up, and piled the rest on top. I'll give it a week or two and see if it makes any difference. If not, I can always go back plan A. I'll post the results in a couple of weeks.

Thanks guys.
Barry747 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,321
 
Default

let some air and atmosphere get to them...
unstack them..

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:10 AM
Moderation Team
 
Cherryville Chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Country: Canada
First Name: Charles
Posts: 15,108
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick486 View Post
let some air and atmosphere get to them...
unstack them..
Or lay some strips between them an then stack weight on so that it gets pressure and air.

Someone I consider a master woodworker once told me that a master woodworker is not someone who never makes mistakes. He is someone who is able to cover them up so that no one can tell.
Cherryville Chuck is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Forum Contributor
 
Stick486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: United States
First Name: Stick
Posts: 25,321
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherryville Chuck View Post
Or lay some strips between them an then stack weight on so that it gets pressure and air.
yup abd finish the stack w/ a CMU...

This would have been the week that I'd have finished chewing thru the restraints...
If only new layers hadn't been added....

Stick....
Forget the primal scream, just ROAR!!!
"SNORK Mountain Congressional Library and Taxidermy”
Stick486 is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
First Name: Barry
Posts: 533
 
Default

Thanks guys, I'll sticker them into a small air drying stack with a weight on top. Stick - forgive my ignorance but CMU?
Barry747 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cutting board blood groove joegillespie New Member Introductions 11 01-10-2015 01:29 PM
Cutting Board Finger Holds rrrun Router Bits - Types and Usage 7 12-10-2014 09:55 AM
Quilted Cutting Board Pop_pop1 Show N' Tell 13 11-11-2011 12:03 PM
Cutting a slot in the middle of a board Zurt Table-mounted Routing 11 01-11-2011 10:46 AM
Walnut/Maple Cutting Board TRN_Diesel Show N' Tell 26 12-21-2009 11:57 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome