Watco Danish Oil and stain. - Router Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By harrysin
  • 2 Post By hawkeye10
  • 1 Post By harrysin
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Don
Posts: 2,603
 
Default Watco Danish Oil and stain.

I have a project that is made of walnut and some pieces of the walnut are different shades. I have both walnut shades of Watco walnut and clear. To be honest there isn't much difference in how the three shades look on the walnut. I was sure to shake the cans very well before using. I have already put two coats of Watco on so can I now put some walnut stain to darken the lighter walnut?

Don in Murfreesboro,Tn.

Measure once cut twice and it's still to short.
hawkeye10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 07:29 AM
Registered User
 
Gene Howe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
First Name: Gene
Posts: 9,859
 
Default

As long as it's oil based, i think you'd be OK.

Gene Howe
Snowflake, AZ

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Please edit your profile with a name and location so we can better assist you and make for a friendlier forum.
Gene Howe is online now  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,482
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
I have a project that is made of walnut and some pieces of the walnut are different shades. I have both walnut shades of Watco walnut and clear. To be honest there isn't much difference in how the three shades look on the walnut. I was sure to shake the cans very well before using. I have already put two coats of Watco on so can I now put some walnut stain to darken the lighter walnut?
In my experience stains, whether oil or water based should be applied to bare wood in diluted form so that the exact colour can be achieved by adding further coats as necessary. After this Danish oil is a wonderful finish, I apply five or more coats depending on the project. I rub the penultimate coat with 0000 wire wool to remove any nibs then leave to harden for a few days after which I give a final rub-down with 0000 wire wool lubricated with wax polish or even oil works well and the rubbing continues until the desired gloss/patina is achieved.
The clock shown had this finish but the photo doesn't do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clock two (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	242802  


Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
hawkeye10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Country: United States
First Name: Don
Posts: 2,603
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrysin View Post
In my experience stains, whether oil or water based should be applied to bare wood in diluted form so that the exact colour can be achieved by adding further coats as necessary. After this Danish oil is a wonderful finish, I apply five or more coats depending on the project. I rub the penultimate coat with 0000 wire wool to remove any nibs then leave to harden for a few days after which I give a final rub-down with 0000 wire wool lubricated with wax polish or even oil works well and the rubbing continues until the desired gloss/patina is achieved.
The clock shown had this finish but the photo doesn't do it justice.
Thanks for the advice Harry but thank you more for the picture of the clock. That my friend is one fine looking clock.
harrysin and Herb Stoops like this.

Don in Murfreesboro,Tn.

Measure once cut twice and it's still to short.
hawkeye10 is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Registered User
 
RainMan 2.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Country: Canada
First Name: Rick
Posts: 16,041
 
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye10 View Post
Thanks for the advice Harry but thank you more for the picture of the clock. That my friend is one fine looking clock.
Plus 1

I donít always insulate , but when I do .
Ok ,I never insulate
RainMan 2.0 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 03:11 AM
Honored Member
 
harrysin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Australia
First Name: Harry
Posts: 14,482
     
Send a message via Skype™ to harrysin
Default

Thank YOU Don for your kind words. Here is a link to the making of a similar clock, when I made the one from Jarrah, shown, I didn't have a digital camera so no shots showing it's making.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Routing a French style balloon clock.pdf (3.70 MB, 45 views)
Cherryville Chuck likes this.

Harry



Nothing but heaven itself is better than a friend who is really a friend. - Plautus






harrysin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finishing with Linseed Oil cmoored The Finishing Touch 4 05-19-2014 02:23 PM
A suggestion from Maurice harrysin Woodturning and Lathes 48 12-08-2013 10:16 AM
Need A Brand Name For Pure Oil Stain Jerry Bowen The Finishing Touch 2 07-02-2013 02:03 AM
Glossy stain before danish oil? jennywren The Finishing Touch 0 05-08-2011 11:42 AM
Finishing the way I see it! by Derek Willis. derek willis Woodworking Articles 0 02-28-2011 09:44 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome