The top is partially completed now...all but the last picture shows the plywood inverted from its final orientation, i.e., the bottom of the top. I began with my biscuit joiner, which I have not used for a couple years, and the table saw, circular saw and miter saw. I cut the plywood to size using the circular saw and table saw and set it upside down on the workbench frame. With the biscuit joiner I cut slots in the plywood spaced about every 8-10 inches. Then I mitered the 1X2 edge banding (3 edges of the top), set them with the bottom edge up and cut corresponding slots for the biscuits. Then using glue, biscuits and 18 gauge pin nails (with my Harbor Freight pneumatic pin nailer), I set the edge banding in place and let the glue dry for a couple hours. Then I oriented the top in its final position and fastened it to the frame with six #10 X 2" screws. As you will see in the last picture, the MDF has not yet been added. I will have to cut it to size and slide it into the frame. If necessary I'll stick it to the plywood with double sided tape. The edge banding will be flush with the top of the MDF (or if it isn't exactly flush I'll finish it with the plane or the router with a pattern bit with bearing. I'll finish that in the next day or so. Yet to be done is the bottom shelf (I cut an old scrap piece of particle board for temporary). The side vise is still in the planning stage and may not be added for a while. Just as an aside, the work I did with the restored plane was perfect. The top of the frame is now level and straight, as is one of the shelf cross members, which was about 1/8" proud.
Here are today's pics:
Last edited by 163481; 06-24-2017 at 06:20 PM.