Who is Rex Cut? - Router Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default Who is Rex Cut?

Does anyone know who manufactures Rex Cut Bandsaws? I have searched the web but couldn't find anything other then Rex-Cut abrasives. I'm including a picture if that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rexbandsaw.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	19331  

CanuckGal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Dep

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it must be a REX,GRIZZLY,HF,GRAINGER,ETC.
All the same or to say all made by one mfg.in China but with diff.names..
Some come with a riser kit like yours...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=32208

========

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGal View Post
Does anyone know who manufactures Rex Cut Bandsaws? I have searched the web but couldn't find anything other then Rex-Cut abrasives. I'm including a picture if that helps.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default

Thanks Bob. I have heard of Grizzly tools they are supposed to be decent. This is not my bandsaw, but it is for sale and I was considering it. The fellow wants 225.00 CDN. Is it a good deal?
CanuckGal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

HI Dep

it's a bit high ,, on sale from time to time from HF for about the same price...

but freight can kill that good price from HF or Grizzly..I would suggest, if it's in good shape about 150.00 to 175.oo but that's just my 2 cents..


=====

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGal View Post
Thanks Bob. I have heard of Grizzly tools they are supposed to be decent. This is not my bandsaw, but it is for sale and I was considering it. The fellow wants 225.00 CDN. Is it a good deal?



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default

Just Curious - why do you call me Dep?
I'll see if he'll strike a bargain. I am in no hurry for a bandsaw, just looking for a good deal and something that will resaw 2"x6"x10" rough oak.
CanuckGal is offline  
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
Bogydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: United States
First Name: Dave
Posts: 440
 
Default

"Just Curious - why do you call me Dep?"

upside down dyslectic
I didn't notice till you said something.
I'm sure bj just made a typo

Life isn't right, wrong or fair. Life just is.
Bogydave is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Deb

Because I can't type LOL
If you want a band saw for resawing you will want a better one

It's a bit low on power
something like the one below
http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513



============

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGal View Post
Just Curious - why do you call me Dep?
I'll see if he'll strike a bargain. I am in no hurry for a bandsaw, just looking for a good deal and something that will resaw 2"x6"x10" rough oak.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
 
Default

Welcome Deb to the forums. What do you plan to do with the re-sawn oak once you find your saw? Bob
fishriverfool is offline  
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Retired Moderator
 
CanuckGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
First Name: Deb
Posts: 3,132
 
Send a message via MSN to CanuckGal
Default

Bobj3 That saw is really far out of my price range. I would like to use the oak and walnut for small projects, boxes, frames, decorative bric-a-brac, just for practice mainly to learn some of the finer points of woodworking. But I would like to make useful things. I also want to try some small panel glue ups with it to make slightly larger projects. I really want to learn about taking wood from rough to finished. Hand planing and resawing are a couple of things I would like to master. But I am working in a hobby shop on a hobby budget.
Most things I will "build" will be out of necessity for home improvement or renovation. Down the road I hope to make small furniture and do some furniture refinishing as well. I have really enjoyed what I have learned in the last while and I love this forum for it's support and all the great ideas you guys and gals have.
So yes I am looking for "budget" tools for the moment. Right now I have a 9" bench top bandsaw which is good for very small soft wood but that's about it.
I got him down to 180.00 with a new fence, new rubbers, new bearings, the extension kit, a miter guage, and a detachable rolling base and an extra blade. He has been using the saw to cut curly maple and other hardwoods he uses for bowl turning on a lathe. I actually watched him cut a 3" thick piece of maple. It does only have a 3/4 HP motor he said but has 3 pulley speed adjustments. I asked him to hold the saw till Monday if he could so I have to call him tomorrow with my decision if he hasn't sold it yet. I was working all weekend and couldn't pick it up anyway. I was hoping to hear back from you folks first. Like I said I am in no hurry, just looking for a good deal.
CanuckGal is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Forum Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
First Name: Bj
Posts: 23,786
       
Default

Hi Deb (Dep)

I have the same band saw,it will do the job but it will just take a bit longer.

The blade is the real key for band saws...when you get into resawing you need the right and the best blade you can buy

That sounds like a go price on the band saw...

If you get the band saw ask the guy where he gets his band saw blades, write it down with the manual that he will give you I'm sure ..
Plus jot down the size of the blades he is using, they do change with the lift kit..not the normal size ....and all lift kits are not made to a standard .

good luck

======


Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckGal View Post
Bobj3 That saw is really far out of my price range. I would like to use the oak and walnut for small projects, boxes, frames, decorative bric-a-brac, just for practice mainly to learn some of the finer points of woodworking. But I would like to make useful things. I also want to try some small panel glue ups with it to make slightly larger projects. I really want to learn about taking wood from rough to finished. Hand planing and resawing are a couple of things I would like to master. But I am working in a hobby shop on a hobby budget.
Most things I will "build" will be out of necessity for home improvement or renovation. Down the road I hope to make small furniture and do some furniture refinishing as well. I have really enjoyed what I have learned in the last while and I love this forum for it's support and all the great ideas you guys and gals have.
So yes I am looking for "budget" tools for the moment. Right now I have a 9" bench top bandsaw which is good for very small soft wood but that's about it.
I got him down to 180.00 with a new fence, new rubbers, new bearings, the extension kit, a miter guage, and a detachable rolling base and an extra blade. He has been using the saw to cut curly maple and other hardwoods he uses for bowl turning on a lathe. I actually watched him cut a 3" thick piece of maple. It does only have a 3/4 HP motor he said but has 3 pulley speed adjustments. I asked him to hold the saw till Monday if he could so I have to call him tomorrow with my decision if he hasn't sold it yet. I was working all weekend and couldn't pick it up anyway. I was hoping to hear back from you folks first. Like I said I am in no hurry, just looking for a good deal.



"It's fine to disagree with other members as long as you respect their opinions"

Marc Sommerfeld Tools ,Videos
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT-n...RWaEpMA/videos

Find all threads started by bobj3
http://www.routerforums.com/search.php?searchid=944097


bobj3 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Router Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome